Menu

Can we jump from R&S English 2 to English 4?

KathyBC

The WTM says you can start these books at grade level up to the 5th grade. The sixth grade book is the first one that builds upon what is learned in the 5th grade. As you well know from using them, they have tons and tons of review. So yes, you can just jump right in at your dc's grade level.:D

I was wondering the same thing. I have DD in R&S 4 this year but we will only get 1/2 the book done. I bought 5 not sure if I should jump to it in the fall or just plod through 4 and then start 5 right after. Her skills are not what I would call "strong" coming out of PS so that is why I picked level 4. We also do Story Grammar so that is why it has taken us extra time.

I was wondering the same thing. I have DD in R&S 4 this year but we will only get 1/2 the book done. I bought 5 not sure if I should jump to it in the fall or just plod through 4 and then start 5 right after. Her skills are not what I would call "strong" coming out of PS so that is why I picked level 4. We also do Story Grammar so that is why it has taken us extra time.

If she's not strong, then stay in 4, solidify in 5 next year, then move into 6--where it really picks up!

Well, I would not. The parts of speech and punctuation would be the biggest reason that I say no.

There is a difference in 3 and 4. We are fourth grade and doing book 3 because dd only had what was equal to book two's knowledge.

Look here ... http://samples.rodandstaffbooks.com/1-19118/#6

If you evaluate the scope and sequence, you will see the differences. :)

If her skills aren't strong, I'd keep her in the 4 book, but I'd probably double up on the easier lessons to get her through it faster.

Okay, so that's two skips and two don't skips. :willy_nilly: Anyone care to be the tie-breaker? :)

I may be reading it wrong, but it looks like three skips and one don't skip, to me. Really though, a capable fourth grader with zero grammar exposure could start in the 4 book and be okay. :001_smile: