Menu

New to high school....

I haven't homeschooled a high schooler in quite a few years, but next year 9th grade will be upon us so I have been researching.

When I looked up our state's requirements, I saw that they have a separate set for those starting high school in 2009 and beyond. They now require 4 electives in one area of concentration. How do you handle that if you aren't sure what your dd wants to do?

Also, they require 3 higher level courses such as AP or Honors. (a 5 or 6 quality point course...I have no idea what this means!) How do we meet that requirement as homeschoolers?

As you can see, I have lots of questions. Boy, things have changed since my oldest dd graduated from our homeschool.

I'm not sure where she will go to school, so I want to be prepared for anything.

Do you have to follow your state guidelines?

I can see why they would want a concentration in electives. That would be beneficial if a student knew what they wanted to do, but a waste if they didn't and chose the wrong field.

AP Classes are available online at PA homeschoolers and Potters School has a few. You can also write your own syllabus based on the AP Collegeboard standards and get it approved by collegeboard for AP status.

You can call any class an honors class as long as it goes above and beyond the traditional high school level course.Usually extra writing or projects.

What about all the kids who aren't able to meet AP or honors standards, how do they get through high school in your state?

I don't have any advice since next year I will have my first high schooler but I do know that while I plan to have my child(ren) meet the requirements as much as possible, we don't have to meet them as rigidly. while they must graduate with 24 credits they don't have to have PE perse and the electives are purely my own (or the child's) decision. After a wonderful suggestion by a fellow HIVE member, I looked up the requirements by a local college that my daughter would be interested in I'm using their requirements along with state requirements to work up my daughter's high school schedule.

It might have been on the http://www.hslda.com website where I read in the home study package that LA students don't have to meet the same class requirements as public/private school kids.

You may want to check there or talk to your local school board rep?

Good luck!

I haven't homeschooled a high schooler in quite a few years, but next year 9th grade will be upon us so I have been researching.

When I looked up our state's requirements, I saw that they have a separate set for those starting high school in 2009 and beyond. They now require 4 electives in one area of concentration. How do you handle that if you aren't sure what your dd wants to do?

I'm also wondering whether this is a must for you. Do homeschoolers have to meet state requirements? In Florida, homeschoolers are under no obligation to meet statutory requirements for public schoolers. So, for our family, we look to what the colleges want and then plan from there.

Also, they require 3 higher level courses such as AP or Honors. (a 5 or 6 quality point course...I have no idea what this means!) How do we meet that requirement as homeschoolers?

You can easily make three or more of your courses honors level by raising threshold requirements. This could include extra experiments or research a science class, extra reading and writing in a history or English class, an extra project or IRL experience in a foreign language class. If you have to follow state guidelines, there should be some descriptions of what's required for honors level. If you create your own classes, then you get to decide what is honors level. ;)

As for AP, there have been lots of threads on doing AP classes as a homeschooler. You can either get approval from College Board and do the class at home (followed by the AP test) or outsource to an online provider. The HSLDA website has a good list of AP course and online providers. You'll have to determine whether self-studying (without College Board approval for a course) and then sitting for the AP exam meets the state guidelines.

Welcome to the high school boards!

Lisa

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the response. I talked to HSLDA today and got some good info. According to them, I can make my own high school requirements....everything from number of credits to what those credits consist of. Whew! That's a relief!

I am glad that I researched enough to learn what is normally required by a public school in our state as well as locally, though. It gave me some insight, I think. So, I have the wonderful advantage of being able to follow the good Lord's leading on the whole thing. YAY!

I can't believe I'm on the big kids' board now! Time passes much too quickly. I am sure I will have tons of questions over the next 4 years. :tongue_smilie: I have 5 more behind my new high schooler, so I'll be hangin' out for a while! :lol:

Thanks again!