Menu

Designing or adapting unit study/thematic curriculum

ElizaG

Has anyone here successfully used a full-year unit study or literature-based curriculum (e.g., Sonlight, TOG, MFW, KONOS, or something self-designed) with very asynchronous younger children? If so, I'd appreciate your insights on this subject. Even if you were utterly unsuccessful, please feel free to share the gory details of that too.

I'd like to start putting something together for next year (probably on a geography theme), and have no experience and much trepidation. :tongue_smilie: The bunch will be aged 2, 4, 6, and 8. The older two are voracious readers and are quick to make all kinds of connections, but their output is more or less at age level and they're not ready for a lot of mature themes.

My preference would be to use an existing curriculum as a model for the schedule, and just plug in our own books and activities. I'm not sure which one would be best suited to our needs, though. I was hoping to go to our local convention to look at a few of the instructors' guides up close, but it would have cost over $100 just to visit the exhibit hall. :001_huh:

Sonlight Core 1/2 has worked well with my asynchronous DD. I swapped out a few books that were a little much for her at her age, but otherwise she's read the readers and read-alouds on her own, ahead of the history if they relate (like Marco Polo), and then we read the history together, do the timeline and map work, and talk about it, with oral and the occasional written narration. We've digressed several times for interesting subjects, and that's usually where she has a more involved project and does some writing.

We're currently dovetailing 1/2 and 3/4, and doing a more involved study on New World explorers, and will then go back and forth in the history (which pushes the more modern world history also off a little longer, and puts US history into chronological sequence with World History), and DD has already started diving into the books. Again, I've added a lot, deleted a few and mostly am leaving it up to her.

I've found Sonlight a good fit so far for DD because it IS so book oriented. And it's a good fit for me because I prefer more "open and go" curricula", and once I have the books on hand, Sonlight IS open and Go for me-I just follow the history, mostly as written, and the adaptations come naturally.