Menu

CC -Devotion suggestions for Mothers and Daughters

It has come to my attention that my dd is getting older:willy_nilly: I'm trying to find a Mother Daughter devotion that would be practical, to the point (I don't like silly activities or stories), and open the dialog about dating, purity, peer pressure, standing firm in the faith etc.

What I don't want (and please do not take offense if this is part of your belief system), are books that tell her she should be wearing dresses or head coverings, be a stay at home mom, or talk about exclusively courting. We wouldn't mind a book that compares dating with courting (meaning both sides equally), but only so she can be informed about the differences, and understand why we don't fall into either category.

If you have any book suggestions for ME to read on my own, that would be welcome too!:D

Thanks in advance!

Dorinda

I just got The One Year Mother Daughter Devo by Dannah Gresh. We haven't started doing it yet :tongue_smilie: but it looks good, and NORMAL!!! LOL. Here are a couple of examples:

There were a couple of days talking about King Saul. In the sidebar it has 'Girl Gab' where Mom and Dd talk....one day: Daughter, are you obedient? Answer that question and tell your mom what's in your heart when - and if - you disobey. Mom, affirm your daughter in the areas where she is obedient. The next day, still about Saul. Mom, tell your daughter about a time in your life when you were worried about what God was doing but now you see what his purpose was.

One day is making lemonade together and talking about bad things that God can use for good. Another day is talking about being clay, so you get some clay and sculpt animals together and talk about why it's your favorite.

So this one seems really fun and not super heavy spiritually while helping to talk about topics in a normal way. And each day has a devotional to go along with the verses/sidebar activity.

This suggestion is not specific to girls, but it's really good.

Concordia Publishing House has a one semester curriculum in their Voyages series called Contemporary Issues. It's written for use in 8th grade or so, but could be done in 7th or 9th, I think. It has fairly short lessons that focus on various social issues from a warm, conservative, Christian viewpoint. It's written for use in Lutheran school classrooms, but I have used Voyages very successfully as my primary Bible curriculum over the years.

CPH has an 800 number and a website. The website is terrible, but the 800 number people are extremely helpful. Ask for the homeschooling discount if you call them, and also, ask whether they have any warehouse returns as well--I believe that the homeschooling discount is 10%, but returns that I have bought are in perfect shape, and are discounted by 30% or more.

To use this curriculum you would only need the TE, the student workbook, and a Bible. The Concordia Self-Study Bible in NIV is the one that I always used for this kind of thing--it worked out great.

oh I just saw your thing about silly activities, lol. Most of the sidebar in this one is decent questions, and only occasionally activities.

No, that really helps! I was looking at it online, but couldn't decide if they were "silly" as in a waste of time and contrived, or purposeful.

It would help if i could be a little more articulate in my original post, right?:D

Thanks!

Dorinda

This suggestion is not specific to girls, but it's really good.

Concordia Publishing House has a one semester curriculum in their Voyages series called Contemporary Issues. It's written for use in 8th grade or so, but could be done in 7th or 9th, I think. It has fairly short lessons that focus on various social issues from a warm, conservative, Christian viewpoint. It's written for use in Lutheran school classrooms, but I have used Voyages very successfully as my primary Bible curriculum over the years.

CPH has an 800 number and a website. The website is terrible, but the 800 number people are extremely helpful. Ask for the homeschooling discount if you call them, and also, ask whether they have any warehouse returns as well--I believe that the homeschooling discount is 10%, but returns that I have bought are in perfect shape, and are discounted by 30% or more.

To use this curriculum you would only need the TE, the student workbook, and a Bible. The Concordia Self-Study Bible in NIV is the one that I always used for this kind of thing--it worked out great.

Thanks!

I'm going to check this out!