Menu

Which SAT date scores can count for National Merit Finalist status

Kendall

How late can you take the SAT and have it count toward the National Merit Finalist competition? I know the paperwork has to be in by mid October(If I'm remembering correctly). Can you take the October SAT and still have it count? Is that the last one?

Scores are out and we're about 50 points short. We have a wedding June 4th so that date is out and not much time to prep between now and the May date.

Thanks

How late can you take the SAT and have it count toward the National Merit Finalist competition? I know the paperwork has to be in by mid October(If I'm remembering correctly). Can you take the October SAT and still have it count? Is that the last one?

Scores are out and we're about 50 points short. We have a wedding June 4th so that date is out and not much time to prep between now and the May date.

Thanks

As a homeschooler, you have to privately arrange to take the PSAT at a local school (public or private). You will need to call around in September, because the school will need to order an extra copy of the test for your child. As the previous poster mentioned, it needs to be October of your junior year in high school. This test can be worth $$ at some colleges in merit money, so it's worth taking it seriously if your child tests well.

SATs are a totally different test.

Kendall,

Are you talking about a junior who's already done well on the PSAT last October and is expecting to be named a National Merit semifinalist?

If so, then the application for Finalist status requires submission of a SAT score. That SAT can be taken as late as December of the senior year, even though the application materials for National Merit must be submitted by the student earlier in the fall of senior year. Your child would just need to sign up to have his or her scores automatically sent to the NM folks.

Here's a link to the advancement requirements for this year's senior class. You'll just need to add a year to all the deadlines to find out next year's requirements.:)