Menu

Boy themed read aloud suggestions?

My son loves books about cars, trains, trucks, boats, airplanes, etc. He likes the non-fiction ones (of the "The blade on this truck helps it plow snow" variety) but prefers fiction where the car/train/truck/etc is a character in the book (The Little Engine that Could, The Caboose Who Got Loose, Hansel and Diesel, etc).

Any suggestions? I keep getting ones from the library that seem like they are more for a two-year-old than a 4- or 5-year-old in terms of vocabulary and lack of plot. Picture books are good, but he'll listen to chapter books, too.

A step up from the excellent list above is Andy Buckram's Tin Men by Carol Ryrie Brink. It's been a long time since we've read it but I believe it's got longer chapters than say, Mike Mulligan. I believe it is out of print so you'll have to get it from the library system.

Encyclopedia Brown, Homer Price, and some child level biographies may also fil the bill. I know I can find biographies at just about any reading level on the library shelf. I think we also read juvenile versions of many of the knight tales, and many stories from the colored fairy tale books appeal to both boys and girls.

Forgot to add, all the Tales from the Book of Virtues collections are good. Look for titles by the D'Aulaires, too. For more nonfiction, David MacCauley works (Castle, Pyramid, Cathedral) are great. The Way Things Work is fantastic, at 14 my oldest saw one at a library book sale and bought it for his personal collection because it reminded him of the countless hues he poured over that book when he was "a little kid."