Menu

Teaching Textbooks?

bry's-gal

Has anyone used this? What did you think of it- good and bad?

I'm thinking of starting this next year with my oldest. We have been using Horizons but it moves a bit slow for her and I'm having to make an extra sheet each day to keep her challenged. I'm also wanting more word problems, real-life situations and more thinking! She is going to be 7 but will be finishing Horizons 2 this summer so we'll be moving into grade 3 for math.

I haven't used it yet, but I have TT 4 for my older dd for when we finish up the current MUS. In looking at it, she will be able to step right into it from MUS Gamma. It is not an advanced curriculum. You'd definitely want to do a placement test. The good thing for your dd is that she could move through it at her own pace, and work independently, but she might go really quickly and then you'd need to buy another year's worth.

I don't really have any good math suggestions. I thought Horizons was a fairly challenging curriculum. My suggestion would be to work with her at her pace until she gets to a place that she needs more time to work on a concept. Lots of kids cruise through early math, but get to a point when they need to spend more time on some things.

I love TT for my daughter (who is doing TT5 and loving it), and I have a detailed review of it on my site, which you can access by clicking the link in my sig then looking on the sidebar to the left for the "My Reviews" section. (I'd link you right to it but Livejournal seems to be down at the moment or something?)

However, if you're talking about wanting to keep her challenged and wanting more problems and making extra math sheets and wanting more word problems and so on, TT might not be for you. We use TT5 and she gets an average of 22 (but it has varied from like 20-24) problems per lesson. Plus the five practice problems. And there's usually only about two word problems in each lesson (plus maybe 1 or 2 in the practice problems).

Nance- Thanks for the review! That helped! Currently, my daughter has no word problems unless I make them up. The problems she does have are overkill- I think she gets bored of doing the same thing over and over when she has the concept down! How does TT handle review? Is it a cyclical program with review problems in each day's assignment?

I think what I'm most nervous about is letting someone else teach her math- I love to teach math but I know I'm rusty on the harder concepts and I will need the review. I think the video will be good review for me.