Menu

Anyone ever been to Hot Air Ballon Launch?

I went to one as a kid and really really want to take dds to one an hour and a half away this June. They said they launch at dawn and dusk. Anyone know if it is better to see the one at dawn or the one at dusk? also, do you think I should be there early or will they just be starting the process at dawn or dusk?

:lol: Yes, we've been to one here in NC, but it's been years. It depends on the winds and may/may not be postponed for that reason. Or, rain will scrape it, etc.

We got there just a tad bit early to "make sure" we didn't miss out. And, I forget if morning or dusk is better. I'm leaning on morning as the casting of light may make it easier to see. Evening may present shadows, etc.

Hope that's not too confusing. They are great to witness.

HAVE FUN!

Sheryl

<><

PS....I'm originally from OHIO

I prefer Dawn. You can actually watch them for several hours as they launch and return. We get there early as our local event has a glow show, which is beautiful, before the sun rises. We live in an area where the weather changes quickly so we keep an eye on the forecasts before we leave. It is not much fun to get there and find out that the launch has been canceled.

There's a hot air balloon festival near us every year. They do launch at dawn and dusk. If you have a festival, try to find out when most are launching. It's quite a site to see 50 launch at once.

See if you can get an exact launch time. "Dawn" as listed in the paper is not what we usually think of as dawn. The other thing to check is the wind because they won't launch if there's any wind at any altitude. You don't want to drive three hours for nothing.

I like dawn better, because I'm a morning person and think the balloon rising through the mist is neat.

I do think you should be there at least half an hour early. Watching them roll out the canopy and hook it all up is part of the experience.