Menu

Anybody heard of envision math?

Our local ps uses it. I've only seen the K book. It is pretty standard K level work with very big colorful pictures and standardized test style practice at the end of each unit. Since I've used RS A with my K'er, I noticed the lack of mental math in it: the students just count objects for all the problems.

yes, I have. It is the math program they use for Connections Academy which was our state's virtual instruction provider until they slashed the funding. I didn't continue using the math because it's expensive and I think it would be difficult to teach since it is made for PS. We had a teacher guide through Connections that scripted instruction. DD enjoyed the online instruction videos that Pearson created to go with the book. I thought it was an ok math program (mastery with some review built in) and she transitioned right into the next level of Saxon without a problem.

eta: she did a lot of mental math in the 5th grade level and a lot of rounding practice. I didn't think it was conceptual, though. I thought it was more on the traditional side. But I could be wrong...

Edited by jannylynn

It is the math program used at my son's (public) school. He used it last year for Kindergarten, and is now using it for First Grade.

I have sneaked peaks at the upper grade materials but not enough to form a full judgment. The K and 1st materials are not bad, but I would not recommend them over something like Singapore Math or a number of the other alternatives available to home educators.

Bill

If you are interested in this program, then you might want to see if Connections Academy still uses the curriculum. I think that would actually be cheaper than trying to pay for the materials yourself and then muddling through a PS teacher guide. CA sent us everything including the manipulatives and we had access to all the Pearson instruction videos.

I wasn't all that thrilled with CA overall but I did actually enjoy the math. It might be worth exploring if you think this program might help. (I read your other thread. :grouphug: ) I think it is stronger than TT.

If you are interested in this program, then you might want to see if Connections Academy still uses the curriculum. I think that would actually be cheaper than trying to pay for the materials yourself and then muddling through a PS teacher guide. CA sent us everything including the manipulatives and we had access to all the Pearson instruction videos.

I wasn't all that thrilled with CA overall but I did actually enjoy the math. It might be worth exploring if you think this program might help. (I read your other thread. :grouphug: ) I think it is stronger than TT.

Thanks, that wasn't my thread though. I just posted with the link because I had been looking into this math program since it was recommended to me. We have been using Horizons and it is working well for my son, but I don't like the teacher book for it so I have been researching other math programs. My younger one is using singapore and doing well, I like the HIG for singapore, but my older child didn't seem to take to singapore. I think he has gotten to used to Horizons and singapore seemed too easy for him except for the story problems that actually caused tears.