Menu

What would you do for Latin for ds 9th grade who has never had any Latin..

I would start with Henle via the Memoria Press Syllabus. Henle is a little bit gentler than Wheelock. And if the teacher (I assume that will be you) has no latin background, I think Henle is a good choice. It is very strong in grammar.

Good luck with your decision,

Jackie

I'll suggest Latin Alive!, the new upper level Latin program from Classical Academic Press. It will be available soon, but in the mean time there are samples to peruse. I beta-tested this curriculum and enjoyed it very much.

Karen could this count as a HS credit. I've used LCI with my students and started LCII, but we didn't finish it, would I let my 7th grader continue with LCII and move my older ones into Latin Alive or could they all do the same program. Thanks

I own Latin for Children and never got around to implementing it.

He will be a 9th grader in the fall.

Thanks for your comments.

I would pay attention to how my child learns before just picking up any Latin text. I say this because I made big mistakes with my dc in using materials that did not fit their learning styles. Henle is a parts-to-whole type approach. Wheelock's is more of a whole-to-parts approach (I don't mean lack of grammar or immersion). Henle spends the first few units on noun declensions before it gets to the verbs. Wheelock spends more up front time on verbs and conjugation with smatterings of nouns thrown in. Another book, Lingua Latina is more like an immersion type course. All of these have pros and cons.

I tend to like Wheelock because it fits more with the way I learned most foreign languages (lots of vocabulary with emphasis on verbs and building sentences). Wheelock has plenty of helps -- numerous supplements as well as a workbook. This is the main Latin book used in colleges. Scholar's Online uses this book. Also there are also free lists where people send in their answers to lessons. The answers are collated and one can pretty much see what the correct answers are. I'm probably not explaining that very clearly, but it is of course free and you learn along with other folks. Usually there are different groups going at different speeds during the year. I'm not sure what the name of the list is, but I can look it up at a later time.

Some folks like Henle because the vocabulary is kept small and the words are repeated so much that it is easily learned. Henle is very thorough and builds precept upon precept. However, with some this redundancy can be tedious. I would think a very left-brained type thinker would do well with this course. This is a Catholic course, but that didn't bother me even though I'm Protestant. Mother of Divine Grace has a very good syllabus for this book.

Others like Lingua Latina by Org (sp?). I have one of the student books. At the time that I bought it there were no teacher helps therefore you needed to be somewhat of a Latin afficienado to teach the course. Now I believe there are helps for the homeschool teacher. The plus is that the student is immersed in the Latin language, and so I would think he would learn to think in Latin which would make reading Latin easier than trying to "translate" everything. The con might be a lack in the training of the grammar, but as I've said I haven't used this course so don't flame me for not knowing exactly how the person learns the Latin grammar with the course. Perhaps it is learned side by side with the program (I really don't know). I would think the teaching manual would include instructions on this.

Also Oxford Latin and Cambridge Latin are other possibilities. Oxford Latin is usually sold at Barnes and Noble. Cambridge Latin uses lots of cartoons to help the student learn Latin. These are more reading based than grammar based programs. I think Oak Meadows has a syllabus for the Oxford Latin course.

As you can see there are many choices. I know there are more out there, but these are the ones that I'm familiar with. Try to think how your child learns and perhaps how you teach when you make your decision for teaching Latin.

I would start with Henle via the Memoria Press Syllabus.

If you did end up choosing Henle (and we like it), then I would recommend the syllabus from Mother of Divine Grace School for Latin 1 that covers units 1 - 7 of Henle 1 for one high school credit. You can get it from http://www.allcatholicbooks.com or http://www.adoremusbooks.com.

The Memoria Press syllabus is nice, but I think it's more suitable for middle school because it only covers Units 1 & 2 of Henle.

HTH,

Brenda

Karen could this count as a HS credit. I've used LCI with my students and started LCII, but we didn't finish it, would I let my 7th grader continue with LCII and move my older ones into Latin Alive or could they all do the same program. Thanks

They could definitely use the same program, but it isn't a full high school credit. I've asked the author about it and she says it depends on the state, but she would weigh it at 3/4 credit. Some grammar not included in LA!One are the passive forms and the subjunctive, we've covered this with Latin: Book One and will review it when we finish LA! in a few weeks. Because of this, and other additions I've made, I'm awarding it 1 full credit.

I vote for Latin via Ovid by Norma Goldman. You can purchase the text & workbook from Amazon.com, but I paid full price for the textbook through Wayne state in order to get the free TG, which only contains the answers to exercise 5.

The workbook provides additional exercises, or optional ones to the textbook, and includes a full answer key at the back. We find the workbook exercises a little harder than the textbook exercises. So, we read through the Structure sections then do the workbook exercises. If we need more review, we use the exercises in the textbook. The answers to the textbook exercises are only available via CDs or audio tapes @ $255.

The text contains 40 chapters that take the student from adapted myths in Latin from Ovid to reading Ovid himself by chapter 30. Each chapter begins with background information on a specific myth in English. Then moves on to present the myth in Latin. Each chapter includes the vocabulary needed to read the myth--sometimes up to 75 words. Next, the Structure section explains the grammar, vocabulary, declension charts & patterns, congegation charts & explanations, and discussions on other parts of speech.

After the grammar section comes the exercises consisting of 5 sections (IIRC, 2 chapters contain 6 exercise sets) that each contain 10 activities each for a total of 50-60 exercises per chapter, plus an etymology exercise section as follows:

I. Responding in Latin to Questions posed in Latin

II. varies from declining phrases to giving correct forms of verbs & more

III & IV. Complete setences by supplying correct forms of specific parts of speech like completing ideas by adding an infinitive with ab accusative subject, or supplying the correct case for an object of a preposition, and etc,.

V. Translate English sentences into Latin

You do not need the audio CDs or tapes to complete this Latin program.

Colleges use the text in year long Latin courses, high schools two years.

Latin via Ovid is a secular product.

If you did end up choosing Henle (and we like it), then I would recommend the syllabus from Mother of Divine Grace School for Latin 1 that covers units 1 - 7 of Henle 1 for one high school credit. You can get it from http://www.allcatholicbooks.com or http://www.adoremusbooks.com.

The Memoria Press syllabus is nice, but I think it's more suitable for middle school because it only covers Units 1 & 2 of Henle.

Yes, I would use Henle, and I would use the faster-paced syllabus with a 9th grader.

Memoria Press sells 2 syllabi, one that covers Units 1 & 2, and one that covers Units 3 - 5; there are 30 weeks worth of lessons in each syllabus. So even after 2 years of study, you still aren't through what is considered to be one year of high school Latin (units 1 - 7).