Menu

What is wrong with for profit?

One of the things that I don't get with the convention controversy is the comments about it being for profit. Honestly what is wrong with that? I am quite happy with the speakers at the Cincy convention being paid. I can't wait to see Tim Hawkins and get help with transcripts.

Nothing. There is nothing in the Bible about not making a profit from your work.

I think, though, the issues between for-profit conventions and not-for-profit ones are these:

For-profits are going to focus in what will make the most money for their company. So, they will bring in speakers that will vary and thus appeal to a wider audience than a conference that's strictly secular or one that's strictly *brand name* of Christian.

I can see the benefits to both sides, and really, it just depends on what you want out of a conference. Since, generally, the vendors are the same, for me it comes down to workshops. I don't want a bunch of churchy workshops. I get churchy at church. Some like the churchy ones and prefer a conference that offers that.

I think both have their place and I think there's room for both kinds in the home schooling world.

My husband is a self-employed carpenter. We have dealt with some people that feel he SHOULD NOT make a profit. I don't think people get it that when you own a business that is your income. You eat, pay your house payment, everything from the profits you make. PROFITS, that's what you keep after all the overhead is taken care of. Even without an office or employees we have a fair amount of overhead because of his tools and supplies. A business can only run so long without profit. Add taxes on top of that and business owners don't make as much as you think.

In the last few years my dh would have better working for someone else, but no one can hire him at the rate he needs. Instead he works all hours, meeting with clients when it's convenient for them, when they're off work and after HE has worked all day.

I can't imagine the overhead to be a vendor or run a convention. Insurance, travel expenses (they don't discount rooms any more for vendors than they do for participants), and your time.

I imagine being a vendor you have to take the mindset of this being part of your marketing. Not everyone can buy now, but at least they've been able to put their hands on it.

What I don't understand is why they use 'non profit' as holier than thou thing. If they are implying that they don't profit off their operations, then they are misleading people. Non profits usually make a profit, maybe not as much as for profits corporations. "Non Profit" is an IRS designation that has to do with the 'type' of organization.

Totally open to the public, you can look up non profit organizations tax filings (990s) at http://www.Guidestar.org and can see that many/most make a profit. You can also see what they pay their officers/board members (which can be high:blink:).

Whenever I hear about a non profit, I like to look them up on guidestar, but I like accounting/financial analysis.