Menu

Do you consider Rod & Staff Eng. 7 & 8 to be high school credit worthy?

abrightmom

I've heard this and since I have little grammar background I have no way to determine whether or not this is true. SWB doesn't mention this in TWTM as far as I can tell. I just re-read the grammar & logic stage of TWTM and SWB recommends doing Rod & Staff on grade level each year unless you're jumping into it late in the game.

I'm curious what Rod & Staff English users think of 7 & 8 (both in grammar and composition).

Thanks! :001_smile:

I have heard and believe that going through the 8th grade book will provide a thorough enough grammar education that you wouldn't need to focus on grammar for the remainder of the schooling years. In other words, you could switch to a program that focused on lit and composition and practice grammar through composition instead of having separate grammar instruction. I wouldn't consider any of the grammar books to be enough on their own for a high school English credit though, not even the 9th or 10th grade books. If you used the the 7th and 8th grade books in highschool (which you certainly could) you would still need to include additional composition and literature. Just my .02.

I don't consider R&S English 7 and 8 as high school level courses but if you finish them you won't NEED any more grammar. Our high school never even offered a high school level grammar course. The expectation was that you were done with all that. The focus was on literature, composition, and SAT (Latin/Greek) Prep.

Grades 7 and 8 are not appropriate for college prep high school, but they are appropriate for general high school. Many or most PS students are not using college prep materials. I don't think it is fair to expect ALL homeschoolers to be using college prep materials and to measure grade level by college prep standards.

CLE's correspondance cover school uses lower levels of the light units and R&S for their general high school students.

Labeling a student's transcript as "general" lets anyone looking at it, know that at least some of the materials used, are below or different from a rigorous and traditional college prep transcript.