Menu

What to do with all of our work from this year???

pocjets

We will be finishing up our first year of homeschooling (K) if about a month. This child is my oldest but we are currently expecting our 5th this summer. Looking down the road, that's a LOT of worksheets, projects and crafts!!

So, how much do I keep?? What do I throw away??

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

I don't keep anything.

I try really hard to keep our papers to a minimum, using few worksheets, using the backs of papers and worksheets for the next thing, and so on.

They get recycled or put in the scrap box when we are done.

Projects get played with until they fall apart, then recycled or thrown away.

Why do you want to keep them?

I think for whatever reasons (portfolios, starting school, memories), you only need a very few samples. Don't save too much.

i purchase a 3 inch 3 ring binder for each child for the school year. I put dividers in it for each subject. As the child completes the work, we put it in the binder. When the binder gets full, I do through it and purge what is not necessary to keep. I make sure to save something from each subject. The binders fit nicely on a shelf.

Now, I only have 2dc so I might choose another method if I had more. My kids love going back and looking at there early elementary work.:001_smile:

Lynda

My boys are going to be finishing their K year soon. I'm planning to keep most of their Elemental Science work (I'm going to have it bound at Staples) because I love the work they put into it. I'm going to keep 10 or less of worksheets, coloring pages, etc. for each subject (other than science), along with a typed list of the subjects we did, what curriculm or other resources we used, and our booklist of what we read this year. I'm going to have that bound as well. So I will have 2 bound books for each child for their K year. For projects (mostly science related) I took pictures and put them in their science books. For field trips (again mostly science related), I took pictures and let them make a couple of fun scrapbook pages that are included their science work.

ETA: I'm am usually one to keep everything, but I am so tired of all the paper, etc. around my house. I'm trying to keep things to a minumum yet keep some of their work if they want to look through it later. I do not have to keep things for reporting purposes.

Edited by mlktwins

I keep a portfolio for both of my kids for each grade year. I don't keep every single paper, but I keep things to show progress and accomplishments. I just put everything in a file folder. Some of the things I put in are:

• A description of the curricula we used for the year
  • All about me page - just a fun page documenting things my kids like and dislike.
  • Snapshot at the beginning of the school year
  • A few handwriting samples - one from the beginning of the year, a few from the middle of the year and something from the end of the year.
  • Math tests
  • Spelling tests
  • List of books we read (aloud and independently)
  • Science notebook pages
  • History notebook pages

You could just include a summary of what you studied in science and history, so you don't have to keep so many papers!