Menu

Adjusting expectations

Momling

You know how it feels when you're a mathematician and your child struggles unsuccessfully with math? Or you're an athlete and your child is awkward and unsuited for sports?

That's what I'm dealing with with my 7 year old. I love learning history and science and mythology and archaeology and religion and anything else. My younger daughter just isn't particularly interested. I don't want to give up, because I think it is important... but reading from SOTW is about as interesting to her as if I were to read from the phone book. And she retains about as much. She can't tell me even vaguely what we just read about (as in: "it was about the Greeks"). Even when I pause every paragraph and restate it. The coloring and the activity book have been appealing to her but haven't led to any understanding at all (other than "I like coloring with pink best").

So... For the time being, do you think it would be appropriate to set aside all content areas and simply focus on skills -- reading and math. She's doing a great job with those because she's good at *doing* things. I think she sees them as puzzles for her to figure out and she does them well.

And then... for next year... instead of history, I was thinking about simply doing geography... lots of map work (which she loves) and maybe something like this: http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0794512445

where she could put stickers on a map and memorize some simple times and places of historical events.

I want for her to be immersed in literature and to appreciate and enjoy learning about the world around her, but for whatever reason, I wonder if she's developmentally just not there yet. But then I worry -- what if she'll never be there? Does anybody else have a child like this?

I think focusing on the basics would be fine. If it were me, I'd still have her listening to it, perhaps once a week, but I wouldn't be worrying so much about if she's retaining it. Maybe throw in some arts and crafts, that might peak her interested. But, history and science are added bonuses at this age, not very necessary.

So... For the time being, do you think it would be appropriate to set aside all content areas and simply focus on skills -- reading and math. She's doing a great job with those because she's good at *doing* things. I think she sees them as puzzles for her to figure out and she does them well.

I want for her to be immersed in literature and to appreciate and enjoy learning about the world around her, but for whatever reason, I wonder if she's developmentally just not there yet. But then I worry -- what if she'll never be there? Does anybody else have a child like this?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Read Nan's post (Nan in Mass) about WTM and skills, etc. Nailing those skills down is time well spent. Yes, it will be tedious and boring some days, but then you can spend the afternoon reading something from your lit list, or even a chapter of SOTW---just for enjoyment. Let her write something each day. Letter writing is a great skill. She could stock her own box with stationery, stickers, pens, etc. to get her excited. Work on handwriting, grammar, spelling, math each day. Maybe she just needs a bit of time to mature. Andrew Kern reminded us in another post to read fairy tales. Work in the garden, do nature study, listen to music and then paint, draw and tell stories.

reading from SOTW is about as interesting to her as if I were to read from the phone book. And she retains about as much

I would have to agree with her, at times.:001_smile: Not always. But reading about things never meant as much as reading about people and places when I was young. For instance, I wouldn't have been interested that the eruption of Thera resulted in the gradual decline of the Minoan empire, but I would have been interested in the story of the Minotaur. If she detests SOTW, she might not detest some of the literature, especially books that are heavily illustrated.

It is far better to focus on skills first. Phonics, reading, math and writing; but I don't think you have to let go of the literature, science and history. Copywork for us always comes from literature. We memorize a new poem about every two to three weeks and we take them from classic poetry.

On retention, I firmly believe that children have to be taught how to narrate. If she is having trouble retelling a story, it would be useful to have her work with books that she loves to start with; ideally the ones that she enjoys hearing over and over again. She already knows those stories. Narration would come easier, and you could help her identify the important elements. After she has had plenty of practice with narrating stories that she loves, it might be easier to narrate things that she is not as interested in, because she has learned how to pay attention to certain things: names, places, things, events, etc.

Does it have anything to do with it being read out loud instead of her being able to see/read it herself? My 9yo ds is VERY auditory and would learn everything that way given the chance, whereas my 5yo dd and 8yo dd don't enjoy me reading out loud as much. They would much rather be reading it themselves. Though they can learn in an auditory fashion, it isn't their preferred method, whatever the content.

This may not have anything to do with your situation, but I thought that I would mention it. I have read posts of others whose children had trouble with WWE narrations until they were allowed to read it themselves. Then they retained the information much better. Seeing how differently my kids learn, I could see that being an issue.

Angela

She may be more interested when she reads it herself? My son is that way.

I also agree with working on the narrations. We use WWE, so narrations are getting better and better. I'm starting to have my son read his own WWE material though, as he really learns a lot by just reading things himself.

You know how it feels when you're a mathematician and your child struggles unsuccessfully with math? Or you're an athlete and your child is awkward and unsuited for sports?

That's what I'm dealing with with my 7 year old. I love learning history and science and mythology and archaeology and religion and anything else. My younger daughter just isn't particularly interested. I don't want to give up, because I think it is important... but reading from SOTW is about as interesting to her as if I were to read from the phone book. And she retains about as much. She can't tell me even vaguely what we just read about (as in: "it was about the Greeks"). Even when I pause every paragraph and restate it. The coloring and the activity book have been appealing to her but haven't led to any understanding at all (other than "I like coloring with pink best").

And then... for next year... instead of history, I was thinking about simply doing geography... lots of map work (which she loves) and maybe something like this: http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0794512445

where she could put stickers on a map and memorize some simple times and places of historical events.

I saw that bolded part and thought about my middle ds. I know this won't be a popular response, but possibly consider Moving Beyond the Page for the hands on/activity based aspect.