Menu

Mary Frances Sewing question

LAS in LA

She posts over on sewingmamas and there are threads there about the book if you'd like to hop over and see. Lots of sewing inspiration there! :)

The patterns are up to a size 6. Some are young looking, but there are a few that would work for older girls if they fit those sizes still. I loved one of the skirts for my dd who is a sz 8/10 and plan to make something similar for summer.

Hope that helps!

Oh my... thank you for posting about these. What a sweet approach to teaching a little one how to sew! After you said about 1913 I went to Archive.org and downloaded the sewing and knitting books for free. I don't have a daughter but we are hoping to have another child so maybe it will be a girl since my son Adrian says he wants a sister. Did you know there was a knitting and crocheting book too? Here's a link from Archive.org:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=mary%20frances%20knitting

I know how to sew and come from a mom that studied fashion design and worked in the industry for many years. She taught us some of the basics when we were young, and since you have not had any replies on this, I checked out the book for you and I would have to say it depends on the child. I noticed your girl is already 5.5 so you can decide how comfortable you are with her using a needle. When we were young my mom taught us some of the knitting basics first. I linked the book for you in case you are interested in trying that with her first. I am a paranoid mama so I would probably save the sewing book for a little later. I would probably try to start with crocheting first and then get a couple of kids' knitting needles. Then start with the sewing after that. My older sister and I used to make doll clothes when we were young. I was probably around 6.5. Not sure if this helps you. Hope you get more posts.

Have fun :)

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the reply! Teaching knitting first also crossed my mind. The Austrian lady who taught me to knit (at age 20) said her grandmother taught her when she was 5 -- my teacher could knit without even looking at what she was doing!!!

There are also Mary Frances books about gardening and cooking.

Thanks for the reply! Teaching knitting first also crossed my mind. The Austrian lady who taught me to knit (at age 20) said her grandmother taught her when she was 5 -- my teacher could knit without even looking at what she was doing!!!

There are also Mary Frances books about gardening and cooking.

You're welcome :). Yep, knitting and crocheting are easier to start with. Crocheting more so than knitting. I sew, knit and crochet. I am sure I am not as good as your teacher but I can knit without looking also. Only purl and knit though :tongue_smilie:. For designs I definitely have to look.

I saw the other books on Amazon after I posted and went back into Archive.org and downloaded the other three in the series (cook book, gardening and housekeeping). If you don't have those you can get all of them free as downloads from Archive.org.

We started this book when my daughters were maybe 7 and 9 and we only made it about half way through. It was a good age for both of them.

I totally forgot about this book! I've taken it down now, and I'm wondering if my 12yo would still enjoy it? We spent the weekend sewing, so I know the love of sewing is there, but would the story still be interesting??

I'm going to set it out on our classroom table, and see if they say anything in the morning.

They learned a few stitches in the book that they continue to use, wouldn't it be great if they enjoyed it even more the second time around?! :001_smile: (Thanks for reminding me about it!)

ETA: One thing I remember about the book was that it helped to have all the supplies prepared and ready to use. I found some stiff wide weave fabric and contrasting thread, which made it easier to see/compare the different stitches.

I displayed and labeled them on one of our bulletin boards, I have them saves somewhere.

Edited by helena

Thanks for posting this! :)

This might be a silly question, but for the sewing book, are the patterns all included in the online version, and do they print at the right size?

Actually Eleanor that is a VERY good question :)! When I downloaded the books it was after 2:00am my time so I just saved them in a file for future reference. Now that you mentioned it I went and checked. The inserts appear to be the size of the book open (two pages). Only I don't know what the size of the book was :tongue_smilie:. Printing it though on an 8.5" X 11" sheet of paper (with a fit to page setting) and just by looking at the patterns it seems about right for a 16" doll but I would have to make it to make sure. I have never made doll clothes since, and my mom used to cut ours in those days, we just did the sewing, so I could be wrong.

One reviewer on Amazon says that the patterns that come with the book sold on Amazon would need sizing for the newer size 18" doll anyway. I took a year of fashion design which included two pattern drafting courses and still have my books from back then so I will be using what I know to size the patterns (if we are blessed with a girl :)).

Since the downloads are free you could just download the book and give it a try. You could just use cheap muslin or a peace of scrap fabric first to make sure that the size is right. I also know the technique of draping, taught to us by a stylist (at the Academy that I attended) on a dressmakers Judy. It appears they have Dolly's Judy now also. Glad you asked, I just found a Canadian supplier! Now all I am missing is my own little girl ;).