Menu

Allergy Concious Breakfast/Lunch ideas

Next week, I'll have my 5yo old cousin over for 3 or 4 days who goes to a private charter school. In his class, there is a child who is hyper-allergic to nuts and eggs. This child can have a (life threatening) reaction to spittle/saliva if there are trace amounts of Nuts or eggs in it. Since I'm usually the kids cook, I'm just a little paranoid we'll harm someones child and possibly kill them...

What are some breakfast I can make for my cousin to eat prior to school? and some lunches I can send with him? I only need 2 or 3 (cheap) ideas that are (very) cheap to make...but still filling. 5yo cousin is in school for close to 8 hours...

What can I fix for my cousin to eat that wont threaten the life of his classmate? Of course, they aren't allowed to have PB sandwiches or crackers,

not that I'm crazy enough to send them. His mom says not to worry just make what we have on hand just keep in mind that 5yo just can't have PB but I am worried...

Am I over reacting? I grew up eating mostly grits and eggs for breakfast and PB and J for lunch...I need some (cheap) ideas...

(PS. I'm sorry if hyper-allergic is considered pic when talking about children with allergies. I don't know what is the best term to use here, I'm just trying to communicate the seriousness of this issue.)

Edited by mom2bee
I want the food to 'fill' him up, not 'feel him up', lol.

First, I really appreciate how seriously you are taking this.

Breakfasts:

Yogurt with fruit, bananas

Oatmeal (not the quick-cooking type) with toppings of choice

Nut-free granola (just read the box, or make your own) with milk and fruit

You can add sausage to any bfast to make it more filling

Can you make some whole-grain pancakes w/o eggs?

Rice w/sweet or savory topping

Lunch:

Meat and cheese sandwich on 'safe' bread

Tuna roll-ups with 'safe' tortillas

String cheese, pasta salad, fruit

Cheese and crackers

Veggies and dip (ranch dressing or hummus)

Hot dogs

Thanks again for being sensitive to this! I'm sure it will be fine, just remember to read the labels on whatever you send.

Oh, of course I have to account for 5yos own pickyness and health; 5yo doesn't like grits (he's considered a weirdo around here, lol.), is lactose-intolerant (runs in the family really strong) and I will try, but I highly doubt he'll eat sweet rice...(no offence to anyone, but I wouldn't either). We dont eat store bought lunch-meats.

Oatmeal! He loves oatmeal! (I just have to not give him maple-nut)...The fruit is another obvious and wonderful choice, but I'm worried it isn't filling enough...

First, I really appreciate how seriously you are taking this.

Breakfasts:

Yogurt with fruit, bananas

Oatmeal (not the quick-cooking type) with toppings of choice

Nut-free granola (just read the box, or make your own) with milk and fruit

You can add sausage to any bfast to make it more filling

Can you make some whole-grain pancakes w/o eggs?

Rice w/sweet or savory topping

Lunch:

Meat and cheese sandwich on 'safe' bread

Tuna roll-ups with 'safe' tortillas

String cheese, pasta salad, fruit

Cheese and crackers

Veggies and dip (ranch dressing or hummus)

Hot dogs

Thanks again for being sensitive to this! I'm sure it will be fine, just remember to read the labels on whatever you send.

Those are a lot of wonderful ideas.

Can you give me some links to those pancakes? I don't know how to judge what would taste good...personal recommendations?

Is there a good way to keep Tuna cool. Its 80degrees in the afternoons around here...I dont want to give anyone food poisoning (I don't know if they have refrigerated areas to store students lunches...do private schools usually have this service?

Also, can you recommend me a 'safe' brand of bread/tortillas? I'm not really familiar with dietary allergies beyond lactose intolerance...

Sunbutter doesn't contain nuts, just sunflower seeds.

You may also try Soy Nut Butter.

I'm not sure if you could pack a tuna sandwich well enough to keep it cold until lunch time. I guess you'll have to see what kind of lunch bag your cousin has, and go from there.

As far as brands of breads, I don't have a specific recommendation for you. We avoid much more than nuts, eggs and dairy, so what we use would be overkill for you, and probably more expensive than necessary. You can check the label of what you're buying. The law now states the top 8 allergens (which includes nuts, eggs, dairy) must be listed in bold print, so it is easy to tell if the food contains ingredients you want to avoid.