Menu

SOTW 4, to include younger???

Guest musicjl

Guest musicjl

I need some advice. We have used SOTW 1,2,3 for the last 3 yrs, and have loved them. We are coming upon Story of the World 4 for Fall. I bought the activity book to begin looking over the resources, activities, etc... I noticed that SOTW 4 is written for Grades 4-8. However, I have a rising 1st, 3rd and 4th grader. I'm trying to determine if I can use SOTW 4 with all of them. Do you think at least my 3rd and 4th graders could use it? Another thought I had was to do American Girl books with my 1st grade girl, then incorporate her into History with us next year when we get back to the ancients. I could possibly do Sonlight Core 4 with my 3rd and 4th grade boys, since our main focus this year has been American History anyway... Then start back with the ancients the following year when I can include all 3 at their level. However I really do like SOTW, and hate to get away from it. My biggest concern, too, is the content and history covered in this last period of history includes a lot of difficult material, and not sure if I should wait, and use this resource when my oldest is 8th grade and we are back to that period in history. Please let me know your thoughts!!!!

SInce you bought it already, read it yourself. I read it earlier this year and would not have read it to my first grader, but kids vary greatly. You know your best. There are many topics included that you could address, but there is a lot that I wouldn't have read to my dd.

I've heard that Peace Hill Press is working on an add-on pack for doing SOTW 4 with younger siblings - more age appropriate books and projects, etc. Won't necessarily help with the tough content of the time period, but may help make it more useable.

Don't remember release dates, but here's a previous thread where SWB chimed in to confirm they are working on it.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6465

I'm having similar concerns. We have always listened to the CD's in the car...Now I am worried about doing that with my 4 year old listening. Do you all think most of it would go over their heads at that age and that it would be okay to continue listening in the car....Or would I be driving down the road cringing at what her little ears are hearing? (as I've done a few times now with SOTW 3---but I keep thinking/hoping it is going over her head).

Well....for example we just listened to the chapter on Nat Turner's Revolt. I don't remember specific langauge, and they do a decent job at making it as appropriate as possible...but just the whole idea that they went house to house killing all the slave owners, leaving a bloody trail.

And the chapter on the French Revolution was quiet disturbing to even my 10 year old--talking about the guillotene and all the killings..etc.

Guest musicjl

I am new to the WTM forums, so haven't had a chance to read them all, obviously! Thanks, Keri for providing me with that link back to the earlier thread about the younger pack for SOTW4. That would be amazing if it comes out in time.

For those of you who also expressed concern, I did do a little exploring into TOG. If WTM doesn't get the younger pack done in time, I may look at doing their year 4 this year. IT covers 20th century, and has resources for Lower Grammar AND upper Grammar, so I could use it for my 4th, 3rd AND 1st graders. Looked like some good resources too. IT also covers the main events in more depth, in somewhat of a unit study approach, but doesn't try to cover every moment in history for the past 100+ years..... But, I must admit, I've been rather sold on SOTW for these last 3 yrs., so it would be difficult to make the jump.....

Thanks to all of you for your input!

I am, actually, not bothered by the content of SOTW 4. It really is not much different to me from the gladiator (just to use an example). There are horrific things in all of them. It is history after all. What is difficult for me in SOTW 4 is the amount of detail and the reading recommendations in the activity guide. I just can't use most of those with my kids. However, there is nothing else I like so we'll just plow through it.

Susie