Menu

Do I need the Teacher's Guide for CLE Language Arts books?

mnemom

I am about to purchase the Grade 1 Language Arts "Light Unit Set" for my dd6. Does anyone know if the Teacher's Guide is useful? I am just afterschooling so I am not too concerned about tests, but are the spelling lists useful? What about the other materials?

Thanks!

I started with the first light unit a few months ago (then decided to put it on hold until fall), but I did use the teacher's guide every day, and I'm generally one to try to get by without using a TE. It could probably be done, but you wouldn't get the 'richness' out of the program.

• 1 month later...

I've taught CLE LA 1, and I highly recommend using the TM. The lessons really aren't long, but I did pre-read them to get an idea of the flow before presenting the lesson. Each lesson in the TM tells you what to review, keeping everything rotating consistently w/o overload. It also tells what new things you'll be presenting and gives helpful tips that are sometimes memorable because they rhyme or they're catchy. There are also "Spelling Practice With the New Sounds" lists frequently which are only in the TM; words for you to dictate as your dc spells them on separate paper. Phonics/spelling rule charts are in the back of the TM (necessary for review), and the other appendices are helpful as well. Hope that helps!