Menu

Writing Strands Assignment

kwg

The assignment was to be a reporter on a good deed done. His brother was supposed to pick up a toy. On the first day he had to list everything his brother did.

(ds4) walked through the door.

He saw the dragon on the floor.

He walked to the dragon.

He picked it up.

He turned around.

He threw the dragon. (Apparently ds 4 misunderstood a bit :lol:)

He left the room.

Then it said to make a news story out of this.

local boy throws toy!

Our reporter witnessed this personally. WHy did (ds4) do this? We dont know but we do know he didn't seem to care that everyone was watching him! He picked up the dragon and threw the dragon and walked away as if he had done nothing wrong. Even though his mother was watching him!

I can see that he didn't really use his steps. I hate to have him do this one over- he is not much of a writer; we just started this program. But how do I help him? This writing thing throws me.

I did not put spelling mistakes in b/c he usually asks to spell words so the ones he missed were not a big deal but in general his spelling is atrocious (why he asks I guess). We are working on it. Ds is 8.

Edited by kwg
forgot to say age of child

local boy throws toy!

Our reporter witnessed this personally. WHy did (ds4) do this? We dont know but we do know he didn't seem to care that everyone was watching him! He picked up the dragon and threw the dragon and walked away as if he had done nothing wrong. Even though his mother was watching him!

I love this! Your son has great voice. I could "hear" him as I read his composition. It's awesome that he isn't afraid of using complex sentences and phrases. His title fits the "news story" angle.

Are you concerned that he didn't include all the steps listed the previous day? He has all the main parts of the action in his composition (picked up, threw, walked away). The actions he left out (seeing, walking, turning around) are unimportant to the main story. The bits he added are perfect. I laughed reading "he didn't seem to care that everyone was watching him!" and "walked away as if he had done nothing wrong." Yup, that's a four year old.

Keep working on spelling using a separate spelling program, and continue to tell him how to spell words when he asks during writing.

I love this! Your son has great voice. I could "hear" him as I read his composition. It's awesome that he isn't afraid of using complex sentences and phrases. His title fits the "news story" angle.

Are you concerned that he didn't include all the steps listed the previous day? He has all the main parts of the action in his composition (picked up, threw, walked away). The actions he left out (seeing, walking, turning around) are unimportant to the main story. The bits he added are perfect. I laughed reading "he didn't seem to care that everyone was watching him!" and "walked away as if he had done nothing wrong." Yup, that's a four year old.

Keep working on spelling using a separate spelling program, and continue to tell him how to spell words when he asks during writing.

Thank you! Yes I was concerned but you are right; he got the important parts. I am so unsure of how to teach writing and do not want to mess it up so it is reassuring to hear that it sounds "ok" so far. We will keep doing spelling and it is good to hear to just spell the words for him. In ps they 'sound it out' but he is impatient with that (mooooom I want it to be right!).

I forgot to say he totally snagged the title from the example btw- their example said something like Good Deed Done in Local Home.

Thank you again!

If the assignment didn't require him to do it over (sometimes it will specify that there's a rough draft), then don't have him do it over.

If you think there are areas of improvement, work on those at a different time. For example, he used "this" in two sentences; you might help him understand that it usually sounds better to have more variety. Also, his last sentence is not complete (although it's a good ending, and the truth is that we do NOT always use complete sentences...which is one of the reasons I like Writing Strands: we learn when it's ok not to do so.) You can help him understand why it might have been better not to write it that way. Those are things that you could talk about tomorrow, or the next time he has to write something and you're supposed to evaluate it before he does the next step.

ETA: I thought he did a fine jobl. :-)

If the assignment didn't require him to do it over (sometimes it will specify that there's a rough draft), then don't have him do it over.

If you think there are areas of improvement, work on those at a different time. For example, he used "this" in two sentences; you might help him understand that it usually sounds better to have more variety. Also, his last sentence is not complete (although it's a good ending, and the truth is that we do NOT always use complete sentences...which is one of the reasons I like Writing Strands: we learn when it's ok not to do so.) You can help him understand why it might have been better not to write it that way. Those are things that you could talk about tomorrow, or the next time he has to write something and you're supposed to evaluate it before he does the next step.

ETA: I thought he did a fine jobl. :-)

Thank you! I went and looked at the samples for the next book and it does require more in terms of revision, etc.- this level is prob getting them used to writing. I will talk mention the changes for our next assignment.