Menu

Apples and Pears or AAS

Which one?

I was going to get AaP last year, but just didn't have the money. This year I'm going to make sure I set aside the money for her a good spelling program because she needs it so badly.

I've seen both of these recommended on here, and I've looked into AaP, but don't know anything about AAS. Dd can pass spelling test just fine, but when she's writing she can't spell at all. There's some connection we're not making there.

:bigear:

We're having the same issues. AAS seem too teacher intensive for my 10yr old. I don't mind it for the youngers but we're already doing reading lessons for 2 kids plus FLL for two, WWE 3..... I'm ready for the older one to be a bit more independant. I need to focus on the youngers for a while!

A workbook approach to spelling just seems to make sense for older kids but SWO helps very little with his ability to actually spell.

Yes! I have a younger that I really need to spend a lot of time with. And I don't think I can handle anything else that is teacher intensive.

But I've been looking at dancing with bears also. I think that the Fast Track AB might really benefit her, so I'm wondering if I should just go a head and do that and get Apples and Pears with it. And then I looked at the samples of AAS and thought, well there's things in there she really needs to know, but it looks fiddly.

Apples and Pears has done very well here. I like how the work carries over to other writing and they build up slowly so that over time the kids are writing sentences, etc. VERY easy to use and even an older sibling that can read at a 4th grade level or so could "teach" it.

If you need more reading the Fast Track stuff is good. I also like http://www.3rsplus.com for great reading series with more stories. It works very well with the Apples and Pears spelling.

How long does it take to complete a workbook, does it take the whole year? The placement test said start at A level 9. I'm debating between ordering A or ordering the whole set.

My dd placed at the same level last June/July. I went ahead and started her at level 1 and worked through the book. Even with a bunch of time down (#6 arrived late November) we finished the book a few weeks ago and have started B. We usually cover a lesson a day. I can't say enough good things about Apples and Pears. Dd's spelling has improved dramatically. :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...