Menu

National Forensics League Questions

Yes. You need to contact their national office. You have to sign up as a club and the fee is $99(I believe). I had looked into this last year over the summer but I didn't do it. I had considered competing in both NCFCA and NFL. It was too much for us this year. We compete in NCFCA. We have friends that compete in both. I will probably do so next year.

Definitely contact them now and I believe the registration is in the summer.

We have friends in NC that were signed up under the name of their homeschool group which I believe in their case was similar to an umbrella school. However, you don't have to be under one.

HTH

I think it would be very difficult to do both - I don't know if that is what you are considering. I know the judging is very different from NCFCA, but you probably know that already.

If you are just looking for the opportunity to compete in the public school arena, have you considered getting together a mock trial team? We did that this year and were very pleased. It was administered by a local (Dallas) bar association, so it was very professional. It was mostly public school teams, maybe 20% private schools, and only a couple of homeschool teams. It was great for my kids to see the professional side of public schoolers.

I agree that as an individual family it is difficult to do both.

Our friends in NC are a group headed by a great coach who have done NCFCA and NFL (they do well in both) and Mock Trial.

They are the NC state champs in Mock Trial, National champs and last year won 2nd place at the International Mock Trial.

The problem with Mock Trial is that you need a group of students to make up a team.

Whereas, as an individual family you can compete in NFL.

CAn anyone tell me how involved NFL is? How often do they meet and how often are competitions?

We have a Teen Court operated by the local YMCA is this the same thing as Mock Trial?

We are going to do Speech Bootcamp over the summer and I'm trying to find something for him to use the skills learned over the regular school year.

Mock Trial is not the same. I didn't realize that you were in Texas.

Here's our Texas mock trial info.

And here's the summer camp where we learned all about it.

You can see from this website that there are many different ways to practice speech & reasoning skills. Mock Trial will require a team of 6-10 kids, but we had no idea where we would find one before camp. Even if we didn't compete, the camp was a great exposure to trials, but our camp group did form a team. Moot Court is not a team... just your child against a panel of judges.

How old is your child? Mock Trial & Moot Court is only available for high school students.

I don't know anything about how NFL works. I just know they are famous for "speed and spread" debating. Have you watched a round on YouTube? That might help you decide if you want to go that route. In fact, most all of the things I've mentioned can be viewed on YouTube.

Mock Trial is not the same. I didn't realize that you were in Texas.

Here's our Texas mock trial info.

And here's the summer camp where we learned all about it.

You can see from this website that there are many different ways to practice speech & reasoning skills. Mock Trial will require a team of 6-10 kids, but we had no idea where we would find one before camp. Even if we didn't compete, the camp was a great exposure to trials, but our camp group did form a team. Moot Court is not a team... just your child against a panel of judges.

How old is your child? Mock Trial & Moot Court is only available for high school students.

I don't know anything about how NFL works. I just know they are famous for "speed and spread" debating. Have you watched a round on YouTube? That might help you decide if you want to go that route. In fact, most all of the things I've mentioned can be viewed on YouTube.

My ds is 15 and will be in 10th grade next year. I will check out the links you provided and look on Youtube as well. I'm really big on knowing what type of time commitment is involved because I'm a single mother and will be in the last semester of graduate school next fall!:D