Menu

Starting AAS with 7th grader?

jennilv2003

Has anyone started this with an older child? My daughter has never really struggled in spelling. I am wanting to buy this program to do with my 5th grader since he struggles in spelling. (We have been doing k12 and it has not been working.) My question is...where should I start with a 7th grader that is a natural speller? Should I really start at level 1? I am planning on it with my 5th grader since he struggles, but not sure what to do with my 7th grader.

A little more clarification...My 7th grader has been a natural speller up until 5th grade. She started struggling more at that point. I feel that she still needs something, but not sure that starting at level 1 would be good. Since I am buying it for my 5th grader I was hoping to use it for both, but is there something else that could be recommended for a 7th grader that has not struggled up until about 5th grade?

Has anyone started this with an older child? My daughter has never really struggled in spelling. I am wanting to buy this program to do with my 5th grader since he struggles in spelling. (We have been doing k12 and it has not been working.) My question is...where should I start with a 7th grader that is a natural speller? Should I really start at level 1? I am planning on it with my 5th grader since he struggles, but not sure what to do with my 7th grader.

No, I imagine you wouldn't need to start at Level 1, unless you look at it and find there are a few things she doesn't know in there. I'm sure she could spell all of the words in that level, so if you did start there, you would just fill in any gaps in her conceptual knowledge, have her teach the concept back to you, and move on. You wouldn't need to make her spell all of the words or do the easy dictations (she'd be bored with that). She'll know how to spell "cat" and "kept," but what you'll want to evaluate is whether she knows why one uses a C and the other a K, and things like that. Sometimes kids only know long & short sounds for vowels and don't know the additional sounds (O has 4 sounds for example--and CH has 3, S has 2, etc....). Here's an FAQ on whether to start in Level 1 or 2.

My kids were struggling spellers, and I started them at the end of 3rd & 5th grades. They needed just 2-3 weeks worth of work from Level 1, but it was important, foundational work. So, if your dd does need anything from that level, I imagine it would be very quick to fill in the gaps and move on.

I imagine a lot of the earlier levels would also go quickly, just filling in gaps, until you hit some harder words for her. Generally AAS doesn't recommend starting higher than Level 2 because that level covers 5 of the 6 syllable rules. If she knows those from somewhere else you might be able to start higher. But if she needs those, again I bet you'd go through that level really quickly.

Have you looked at the online samples and the scope and sequence information? The scope & sequence info is going to be most helpful to you for placing her if she does know syllable rules. In that case you'd want to read through the concepts covered until you found some gaps. Here are some samples & scope/sequence info:

levels 1-3

Level 4

Level 5

Level 6

Hopefully this will help you evaluate whether using this will be helpful for her. Merry :-)

I personally wouldn't use it for this age. The words are too easy. If your child needs more help with rules etc. How to Teach Spelling is similar to AAS but uses harder words (not at easy to use, IMO, though). From what people say, Megawords sounds like it is as well (I want to check this out at the convention!). My 1st grader is in AAS book 2 (just started it) and his words this week are:

by, try, cry, my, why, fry etc.