Menu

1st grade reading/LA

Koerarmoca

I am trying to figure out if I have my bases covered for my 1st grader reading and LA wise. I have FLL 1&2, I have ETC 1 1/2 (I got that free from a friend but assume I need to buy other books to go with it or I may do the plaid phonics books) I also have FIAR which I know is not a reading curriculum per say. But we will be reading a lot of the books and extras together. when we read books that are above her level I point to each word and she reads along and says all the words she knows and I try to get her to sound out more challenging words. She LOVES to read. We have been reading simple readers like "the fox and the box" and bob books. What other readers should I add in here? do I need an entire reading curriculum on top of these things?

No you do not need an entire reading program. If she is reading simple books and loves it. Go to the library and pick out more and keep up with it. Don't make it a chore keep it fun. Keep a going list of words she has a hard time with and use them as spelling words and have he cover them as needed till she knows them.

Also if she is already reading I assume the ETC book you have will be below level.

For us, Language arts is the most important part of our homeschool (after the Bible) so I want to be sure it is well covered. How well is your child reading? if she is still learning to read (only reading beginning readers) I would want a complete phonics program. For first grade we are planning: Abeka phonics, (ETC supplements) FLL 1, WWE 1, and AAS 1. For us, LA makes up the bulk of school at this point, so while not everything is done every day, phonics is. Just my thoughts! :)

She reads pretty well, but is is mostly pre-reading/level 1 type books about 99% on her own. I haven't challanged her much beyond level one books. I think she could read level 2 with help.

if she is reading pre-reading/level 1 books, my assumption is she is learning to read via total language and not phonics. That is something to consider. Will you continue on this path, or will you back it up and teach phonics? I would venture to say the majority here teach phonics, (a la WTM and other sources). If you will begin phonics, I would use a program like OPGTR or other phonics program . . .

If I were where you are I would probably keep doing what you are doing, but add ETC just to make sure you are covered. I would consider ETC 3 (might be a review) and then do 4-6. Just a thought. She might not get much out of 1 and 2. We use ETC and OPGTR, but if ds enjoyed grade level readers, I would not require him to do OPGTR.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Can someone expand on all the abbreviated curicculum? I have a very reluctant, struggling non-reader and would like to look more of these programs/books up.

:) Thanks!

Sure. Here are a few.

ETC--Explode the Code

OPGTR--Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

100EZ--100 Easy Lessons

AAS--All About Spelling

There is a sticky not on the forum somewhere that gives a list of the most common abbreviations. Have fun looking.

I would definitely teach phonics if you haven't already. My daughter was reading very well when she started 1st grade, but had never had formal phonics instruction. On a friend's recommendation we started her on phonics, just to make sure all the bases were covered, and the difference was incredible! Her reading level and comprehension just skyrocketed. By the end of the year she was reading at a 6th grade level. We were complete phonics believers after that. :)