Menu

Planning. . .Hopes and Expectations

I have been working on creating a four year highschool plan for my dd and I get SO excited at the prospect of what we'll cover and learn - but then it hits me like a ton of bricks. . .my dd will remember practically none of it. All the work, writing, reading, time and energy. . .poof!

Among other things, she has a seizure disorder and her memory is just T.E.R.R.I.B.L.E! She's constantly saying "I never heard that before" regarding topics, people, or events that we've covered at least once (often more than once) and it makes me want to cringe and/or cry :crying:).

This is nothing new for us by any means. She has struggled significantly from very early on in life, so we'll always keep putting one foot in front of the other and trudging on, I guess I'm just looking for a bit of encouragement at this stage of our journey.

She's entering these highschool years and I to make the most of them academically and heartwise - it's just disheartening and hard to maintain that excitement when it feels like we're climbing a mountain made of ice, and no matter how hard we climb, we never make headway equal to our effort. :tongue_smilie:

Tina, it's even harder being that person with special needs. :grouphug: She doesn't want to be different, struggle, or have a poor memory. It is what it is. There comes a point when we have to help them cope with their realities and teach them how to accomodate for them and survive in the real world.

I would focus on enjoy these last 4 years of homeschooling her. Allow her to follow her interests, perhaps do an apprenticeship, internship, something hands on that may lead to a future career and volunteer. Encourage her to work on a larger project. Enjoy being together and building your relationship.

Work on helping her develop an organizational system that she'll need to accomodate her weaker memory. Show her how to keep a reference binder with all her notes, reminders, lists, etc. in it.

Use your time and her energy wisely. What will really matter in the end?

:grouphug: agree with this post.....if I were in that situation this is what I would do--

I would focus on enjoy these last 4 years of homeschooling her. Allow her to follow her interests, Work on helping her develop an organizational system that she'll need to accomodate her weaker memory. Show her how to keep a reference binder with all her notes, reminders, lists, etc. in it.

Use your time and her energy wisely. What will really matter in the end?

Thank you all!

I absolutely plan to enjoy this time with her, however, I also feel a responsibility to get her as far along as I can so that she can function and get along in the world :) I don't know what God has in her future, but I pray and trust that he has plan perfect for her needs and abilities.

Right now, her interests begin and end with sleeping. Part of that is being a teenager, part of that is seizures and part is med's. So we factor that in, without letting it excuse her from real life expectations. KWIM? That it a "life skill" she needs. Academic wise, her retention is a big hindrance but we work with what we have without giving up or in. ;) Neither of us like that she has to struggle with this, but we all have strengths and weaknesses. As a Mom though, I just hate this for her.

I do know what's most important, thus I'm constantly on my knees praying I do this parenting and teaching thing right.

I think I'm rambling now. . .better go. . .:D