Menu

LA for second grade

gracesteacher

For second grade next year, I have planned FLL2 (grammar), WWE2 (composition), AAS3&4 (spelling), Getty-Dubay Italics C (cursive Italic handwriting) and for reading we just read good chapter books and do a narration on occasion. He just finished up Charlotte's Web Friday.

I try to pick books for "reading" that are just barely past his reading level to give him a good challenge. He's somewhere in the middle of 4th grade level now, and Charlotte's Web is labeled 4.9 - he could read it, but needed help on 2-3 words on a page when reading aloud. I'm going to continue to do reading this way as his reading level goes on up (with AAS, he's learning to sound out the multisyllable words he doesn't know already, so that will probably shoot his level up again).

The Sonlight, HOD, and VP reader lists are all great places to look for readers at the appropriate level. The scholastic book wizard is also helpful in choosing books. You can even type in the name of a book that is the level you're wanting to find, and it will show you books of a similar level. Pretty neat.

My son reads way above grade level, also. My plan for 2nd grade language arts is:

Reading: Ambleside Online selections

Writing: Writing with Ease (narration, copywork, and dictation)

Handwriting: Cursive First

Grammar: First Language Lessons (level 1 is way too easy for Nik, though, so we may have to reevaluate)

Spelling: All About Spelling

I am using BJU English 2, this has grammar and writing. I tried FLL and WWE, and though I enjoyed it my dd was getting very bored with it. She felt she was doing the same thing over and over and nothing new was happening. BJU has a chapter of grammar and then a chapter of writing. The writing is taught in a way that uses different organizational approaches (web, scatter, outline) and you and the child walk through an actual writing piece together before they are expected to do it solo. I like the grammar sections because you do lots of oral work, then execute it on the workpage with an area at the bottom to try out the new grammar learned in writing 1-2 original sentences.

This with a handwriting book make a complete LA course. I will be adding some copywork, most likely a passage from each independent reader dd reads (a passage she picks)

My plan for Ariel, who is working above grade level:

Galore Park Junior English 1 (This is designed for Year 3 students, in case you're considering it, not first grade)

Writing With Ease 2

Apples & Pears Spelling

AO and personal selections for literature

I'm considering buying a couple of literature units from MBTP since my kiddo learns and likes school best when we mix it up.

Edited by Aurelia