Menu

Taxonomy for me?

well...

Taxonomy usually will be covered in basics of botany, biology, general science classes, so you'll eventually learn more as your children get to those topics. But it's always ok to learn ahead.

I'm uncertain how much you want to learn right now.

You could start with just the very basics of the 7 classifications. and some people learn a phrase to remember them.

King Philips Cried Out For Goodness Sake

Kingdom Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species

and learn that the names of all of that come from Latin words and

use binomial nomenclature (2 name system)

that's the very basics. You can see it explained in very basic terms here:

https://www.msu.edu/~nixonjos/armadillo/taxonomy.html

Perhaps you are looking at finding resources to be able to name various species of a plant or animals or something?

I feel like I'm giving such an incomplete answer. But my autistic kid is in total melt down mode... go.. logging out

-crystal

This is a weighty tome and may be more than you are looking for, but you should be able to get it from your library or inter-library loan and it can answer all your questions. The introductory chapters should be enough to get an idea of the history and systemics of classification. It is written to a general audience.

The Variety of Life: A Survey and Celebration of All the Creatures That Have Ever Lived by Colin Tudge

I don't know if you can get this one from the library system or not. It is a college textbook that only covers invertebrates, but the introductory chapters clearly explain the classification system used by the authors (there is more than one classification system--just so you are prepared--older one based on body plan but still useful, newer one based on DNA, more accurate but still incomplete).

Animals Without Backbones by Ralph Buchsbaum, Mildred Buchsbaum, John Pearse and Vicki Pearse

Any good high school bio text should have at least a chapter on classification.