Menu

TOG vocabulary question

RobinF

I want to do a more intensive vocabulary study next year with TOG. Is there anyone who has organized this? If so how did you do it? I am thinking of compiling something that I can use from each time we study TOG and if I start now then I won't have to remake something something in four years when we do year 2 again. Any ideas?

I am not sure what you mean by more intensive but for this year I have been making a vocabulary page with images for the words and the definition where a pic is not possible. Next year my son will be 8 and since we will not be using Wordly Wise any longer I am thinking of making flash matching cards and make it into a game of sorts. I will be typing and printing the words on a flash card each and then the definitions on another and have Adrian match them. It will get more complicated as we move through the unit and the words become more and more. I will be working them one unit at a time and then storing them in a pocket in our lapbook per unit. Not sure how this will work out though or how bulky it will get. I am looking at 6-8 words per week.

Anyway, that's what I am thinking but giving you a bump to see how others approach this ;).

Edited by Guest

I want to do a more intensive vocabulary study next year with TOG. Is there anyone who has organized this? If so how did you do it? I am thinking of compiling something that I can use from each time we study TOG and if I start now then I won't have to remake something something in four years when we do year 2 again. Any ideas?

Not sure if this helps you, but did you know that all of the vocabulary is listed by week and defined in the Evaluations (in Generic tools section, it's called Vocabulary Glossary) for each year? The same section also contains a people glossary. Unfortunately the people are done alphabetically, not by week. For a long time I had no idea (even though I have Evaluations).

Shannon

Not sure if this helps you, but did you know that all of the vocabulary is listed by week and defined in the Evaluations (in Generic tools section, it's called Vocabulary Glossary) for each year? The same section also contains a people glossary. Unfortunately the people are done alphabetically, not by week. For a long time I had no idea (even though I have Evaluations).

Shannon

Well you are not the only one that didn't know :tongue_smilie:. I hadn't noticed it either. I will be checking it out. This may change my mind about Evalutations for next year ;) (I wasn't going to bother for LG). Thanks for posting this info.

Just to be clear, the master vocab list and people list are on the Loom part of your year plan (at least in DE) so you don't need to have purchased any of the levels of Evaluations to access it.

That may be true of your DE plan, but unless something has changed since my purchase 2 years ago, the loom cds do not have any Vocab definitions or People Glossaries on them. I just double checked to make sure. They are on my Evaluations discs.

The lists I am referring to actually list vocab definitions and descriptions of the people. They are not simply the lists that appear in the student assignment pages. So from what you are saying DE gives you access to these lists without an extra purchase of Evaluations as well?

Just to be clear, the master vocab list and people list are on the Loom part of your year plan (at least in DE) so you don't need to have purchased any of the levels of Evaluations to access it.

Wow, thanks! I am such a dork :glare: I never even saw it and have been using the weekly plan for the words and finding or typing my own definitions. OK, back to not getting Evaluations for next year. Thanks, you saved me some money :).

The lists I am referring to actually list vocab definitions and descriptions of the people. They are not simply the lists that appear in the student assignment pages. So from what you are saying DE gives you access to these lists without an extra purchase of Evaluations as well?

Yep, Monica is right! I just checked and the definitions and people descriptions are there :hurray:.

Yep, Monica is right! I just checked and the definitions and people descriptions are there :hurray:.

You have DE, right? Maybe yet another reason for me to upgrade.

Edited by shanvan

Okay, I'm feeling a little silly asking this, but where are you finding these on the DE Loom? In fact, where are you finding the DE Loom? I am able to find some generic loom links under the unit intros and each week's curriculum heading, but nothing as specific as the glossaries. I think I must really be missing something.

I've just written to Tapestry for help because I think I might have a problem with my interface - the item "Using DE" doesn't link me to anywhere, nor do the scripted words "The Loom". I'm sure they will be very helpful as I've always had a wonderful experience with them. However, if you guys know of a simple place to check for the items mentioned above....something that I might just be missing....

Thanks!

Ok I have the DE version for next year but not the add'l evaluations so a list of vocab should be on it? I need to do some more investigation.

I am wanting something like a vocab workbook and should be able to easily put it together if the list is available for me to copy and paste. I am thinking of something where they have a couple of different exercises to learn the vocab. I am not sure that I am explaining what I want but something similar to ETC or wordly wise for TOG vocab. So like a matching, word search, and another game they could play for each set of words. I like the idea of flash cards but wonder how much energy that would take for me to make them.

Ok I have the DE version for next year but not the add'l evaluations so a list of vocab should be on it? I need to do some more investigation.

I am wanting something like a vocab workbook and should be able to easily put it together if the list is available for me to copy and paste. I am thinking of something where they have a couple of different exercises to learn the vocab. I am not sure that I am explaining what I want but something similar to ETC or wordly wise for TOG vocab. So like a matching, word search, and another game they could play for each set of words. I like the idea of flash cards but wonder how much energy that would take for me to make them.

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread!

Yep, we only ever bought DE. We were living overseas at the time and the shipping was not worth it when DE is so easy and user friendly :). I was always a print type (I am tactile and like having something in my hands) but what you get with DE and since you already have the print, it should be a worthwhile move to upgrade. I don't want to influence you though. I would suggest downloading the DE 3-week sample and playing around with it. If you like it then just the fact that you will have all future upgrades should make it worth your while ;).

Edited by Guest

Okay, I'm feeling a little silly asking this, but where are you finding these on the DE Loom? In fact, where are you finding the DE Loom? I am able to find some generic loom links under the unit intros and each week's curriculum heading, but nothing as specific as the glossaries. I think I must really be missing something.

I've just written to Tapestry for help because I think I might have a problem with my interface - the item "Using DE" doesn't link me to anywhere, nor do the scripted words "The Loom". I'm sure they will be very helpful as I've always had a wonderful experience with them. However, if you guys know of a simple place to check for the items mentioned above....something that I might just be missing....

Thanks!

Hi Taylor,

This is where I found them after Monica's post. I clicked on one of the Units and then on the Loom on the right hand side, under the weeks. After you click on the Loom there, your screen should change on the left and you should be able to see a list of things/ articles etc. in categories. If you get to this and you scroll down to Glossaries you should be able to see it :). I hope this helps till you get a reply from Lampstand Press.

If you have DE then it should be in your Loom. See my previous post. This way you don't need to worry about getting Evaluations just for that.

Hi Taylor,

This is where I found them after Monica's post. I clicked on one of the Units and then on the Loom on the right hand side, under the weeks. After you click on the Loom there, your screen should change on the left and you should be able to see a list of things/ articles etc. in categories. If you get to this and you scroll down to Glossaries you should be able to see it :). I hope this helps till you get a reply from Lampstand Press.

Thank you, Marie. You always seems to give such kind replies. This problem was driving me batty, so I did some more digging and I was able to access "How to Use DE" from TOG's website. Watching the video, I realized I literally WAS missing the Loom from my interface. It was nice to learn that I wasn't going crazy. My husband happened to be sitting next to me when I discovered this and somehow knew that I needed to open my interface using a different browser. I don't know how he knew that, but I've stopped questioning his Jeopardy-like knowledge of random applicable facts. I guess my DE had Google Chrome as its default browser and with it, Loom was NOT working. We switched it to Firefox and voila! The Loom!

So, to anyone missing the Loom, try changing browsers!

And to the OP, I'm again sorry for de-railing! I don't remember how old your children are and whether this would be too simple, but for next year I am thinking of choosing words off of the vocab list and having my 2nd grader look them up in a dictionary and write the definition. Perhaps add a mini-picture as well. This won't take too much prep on my end and will have the added benefit of learning dictionary skills. Hope this helps?

Finally, now that I have the full Loom, I must say WOW! Even my husband is spellbound by how much TOG DE has to offer and we are EXCITED for next year!!!!

Thank you, Marie. You always seems to give such kind replies. This problem was driving me batty, so I did some more digging and I was able to access "How to Use DE" from TOG's website. Watching the video, I realized I literally WAS missing the Loom from my interface. It was nice to learn that I wasn't going crazy. My husband happened to be sitting next to me when I discovered this and somehow knew that I needed to open my interface using a different browser. I don't know how he knew that, but I've stopped questioning his Jeopardy-like knowledge of random applicable facts. I guess my DE had Google Chrome as its default browser and with it, Loom was NOT working. We switched it to Firefox and voila! The Loom!

You're welcome. Glad you figured out how to fix the problem. The Loom is an amazing resource. I had started reading the links going down the list and haven't had the chance to go back in a while. This was why I never noticed the glossaries :tongue_smilie:.

Robin, I hope I'm not "overstepping" but I've been following your thread. :bigear:

Could someone please tell me how you would upgrade to the DE version? I purchased a used set w/ the Loom and a few extras. Surely, you wouldn't have to buy the entire thing again??

(This will be our first year with TOG after waiting patiently for 3 yrs. :D)

Edited by cowgirl
grammar - ugh!

Robin, I hope I'm not "overstepping" but I've been following your thread. :bigear:

Could someone please tell me how you would upgrade to the DE version? I purchased a used set w/ the Loom and a few extras. Surely, you wouldn't have to buy the entire thing again??

(This will be our first year with TOG after waiting patiently for 3 yrs. :D)

Here you go:

http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/help/

Just go down to where it says "Forms" and pick the updgrade for your year plan(s). It is only $35 (per year plan) for the upgrade but you have to mail in the Loom CD.

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread!

No problem!

Hi Taylor,

Thanks I will check that out, my de is on another computer.

And to the OP, I'm again sorry for de-railing! I don't remember how old your children are and whether this would be too simple, but for next year I am thinking of choosing words off of the vocab list and having my 2nd grader look them up in a dictionary and write the definition. Perhaps add a mini-picture as well. This won't take too much prep on my end and will have the added benefit of learning dictionary skills. Hope this helps?

Finally, now that I have the full Loom, I must say WOW! Even my husband is spellbound by how much TOG DE has to offer and we are EXCITED for next year!!!!

My older two are going to be in 6th and 4th grade so I want something a little more indepth but also fun for them. I am thinking that I can make up worksheets for them to work on during the week as review and then we will do a vocab type test on Fri.

You're welcome :).

And I thank you too!

Thanks I will check that out, my de is on another computer.

Not sure if you know this but if you sign a form you could have DE on any computer in your home. You may not want to do that but I just thought I would let you know in case you weren't aware of it :).

And I thank you too!

Not sure if you know this but if you sign a form you could have DE on any computer in your home. You may not want to do that but I just thought I would let you know in case you weren't aware of it :).

I did know that but the computer I use most of the time (for surfing the internet) is a macbook that we also use for church (dh is a church planter/pastor) so I try not to load anything personal on it. Thanks again.

That may be true of your DE plan, but unless something has changed since my purchase 2 years ago, the loom cds do not have any Vocab definitions or People Glossaries on them. I just double checked to make sure. They are on my Evaluations discs.

Call and ask them about it. They may be willing to send you out a new loom CD. I have found them very accommodating.

Heather

I did know that but the computer I use most of the time (for surfing the internet) is a macbook that we also use for church (dh is a church planter/pastor) so I try not to load anything personal on it. Thanks again.

No problem :) just wanted to make sure you knew about it.

Hi Taylor,

Ok I just got on my other computer and found this info under the loom. THANK YOU so much! I obviously haven't investigated my DE very well.

There is another way to find some of the extra material from the Loom in DE.

Open your DE Year and click on a Unit. Then look on the right and click on the Unit Introduction. Click Curriculum and you will have a huge list of extra items for the Year/Unit including the Vocabulary and People Glossary.

As for vocabulary-we use a different program altogether. There is no reason not to use any of the major vocabulary programs with TOG. IMHO TOG's vocabulary is derived from potentially new words found in each week during the Grammar years. This is a vastly different vocabulary program than one derived from SAT vocab lists, word roots, etc. You need to choose a vocabulary program that best suits your goals.

There is no reason not to use any of the major vocabulary programs with TOG. IMHO TOG's vocabulary is derived from potentially new words found in each week during the Grammar years. This is a vastly different vocabulary program than one derived from SAT vocab lists, word roots, etc. You need to choose a vocabulary program that best suits your goals.

:iagree:Though the vocab lists on the loom may prove helpful, especially in the younger years.

Ok I just got on my other computer and found this info under the loom. THANK YOU so much! I obviously haven't investigated my DE very well.

Glad you found it :). TOG offers so much I am constantly discovering something new also. Until Monica posted about the vocabulary words and people descriptions, I hadn't noticed it either :lol:.