Menu

Graduation announcements?

For those who have BTDT, what kind of graduation announcements/invitations have you sent?

I'd like to include a photo, obviously, and an invitation to grad party (ds doesn't want a ceremony), as well as perhaps a note about his future plans since these go out to family/friends far away. Would it be better to put that info on another card in with the grad photo/invitation?

I know this is a totally personal choice, just looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Kimm in WA

I've seen it all, a facebook event, handwritten in on blank ones purchased at a party store, fancy printed w/wallet size graduation photo, and of course us, word of mouth only (because ds didn't want a graduation and party and changed his mind less than a week before Grandma's visit).

I make all kinds of cards and such. I did our churches entire homeschool grad group last year a common theme was a traditional card with photo and on Biz cards we printed their plans like:

Joe is attending ABC and plans to major in Biology

He has gotten a scholarship from blah blah blah

and has been invited to join the basketball team.

it was more cost effective to it this way then to make another card and seemed more professional than adding a paper letter. Some of the moms even laminated these cards as a keepsake type thing.

They all turned out really nice.

This isn't exactly the one we used, but it was very similar.

We put all the pertinent information to the left and there was still a nice sized glossy photo on the right that people could clip out and frame if they wanted to. They turned out FABULOUS! Almost everyone who got one immediately called us up to talk about it. I love making a SPLASH! :D

Thanks for the info on Shutterfly. I didn't know about their pre-made formats. I like the idea of cards vs. Costco announcements on photo paper. I found one I like that matches his shirt. Now I need help with wording. DS attended dual-enrollment program full-time at CC but didn't get AA. How would you state that? This seems awkward:

DS Name

Class of 2011

XXX Community College's Running Start Program

and Homeschool Graduate

DS will attend XXX University and plans to pursue a degree in XXX.

The middle part seems awkward. He is a homeschool graduate, but did not graduate from the CC...but was involved in the dual-enrollment program.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Kimm in WA

Thanks for the info on Shutterfly. I didn't know about their pre-made formats. I like the idea of cards vs. Costco announcements on photo paper. I found one I like that matches his shirt. Now I need help with wording. DS attended dual-enrollment program full-time at CC but didn't get AA. How would you state that? This seems awkward:

DS Name

Class of 2011

XXX Community College's Running Start Program

and Homeschool Graduate

DS will attend XXX University and plans to pursue a degree in XXX.

The middle part seems awkward. He is a homeschool graduate, but did not graduate from the CC...but was involved in the dual-enrollment program.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Kimm in WA

Maybe something like "Homeschool graduate and participant in the XXX Running Start Program"

OR does your homeschool have a name? Where you have "class of 2011" you can include the name of your school, like

"xxx Homeschool Academy

Class of 2011."

Then you can include the "participant in . . . Running Start Program" part without muddying it up with the homeschool part.

What do you think?

No, no homeschool name.

What about:

XXX Community College

Running Start Program

and Homeschool Graduate

The way the format on the card is, these would be on separate lines and would be centered.

Kimm

I'm definitely no expert, maybe someone else will chime in, but I think it looks good.

If it were me, I'd want the homeschool part on top of the community college part. To me, that's the most impressive part :001_smile: and what my family and I were most proud of, so we wanted to highlight it.

But, it does look good, I'm sure it will look great on the announcement.

but we absolutely love this!

Homeschool Diploma

We're using the blue one on the left. The invitation to a graduation ceremony and celebration was printed inside. They arrived a couple of weeks ago and look great. Also, the company was very good to work with as I had a slightly out of the ordinary issue.

Very exciting time, isn't it!

Hi Kimm, We have the same issue here with Running Start but no AA. I am working on the wording now but I don't think I will mention the CC on the announcement. His courses were dual enrollment to fulfill our homeschool's high school requirements, and he is graduating from our homeschool. He will not participate in the cc's grad ceremony and I guess I just don't care if people know that he took classes there or not.

Now the question is which homeschool name (if any) to use on the announcement. The "formal" name on his transcript is "Whispering Ridge Academy." The silly name which we use in our family is "The T--- School for Wayward Boys" (T--- is our last name). I'm very tempted to use the latter. ;)

This isn't exactly the one we used, but it was very similar.

We put all the pertinent information to the left and there was still a nice sized glossy photo on the right that people could clip out and frame if they wanted to. They turned out FABULOUS! Almost everyone who got one immediately called us up to talk about it. I love making a SPLASH! :D

I like this idea! I'll have to check into this more, since we wouldn't want those colors, for sure, but this would just be nice and easy it looks like!

but we absolutely love this!

Homeschool Diploma

We're using the blue one on the left. The invitation to a graduation ceremony and celebration was printed inside. They arrived a couple of weeks ago and look great. Also, the company was very good to work with as I had a slightly out of the ordinary issue.

Very exciting time, isn't it!

What did you use as your inside text?

My ds17 will be graduating next year, 2012. He was homeschooled through 9th, went to a Christian Boarding High School for Soph. & Jr. years, and will be home next year doing part home classes and part CC.

I'd have a hard time knowing what to put on the inside of his card with all that! :001_smile:

Any ideas?

We ordered our diploma and tassel from homeschooldiploma.com and they are beautiful.

At first I wanted to just make a certificate myself on the computer, but I'm SO GLAD I sprung for something nice. It's such a milestone and such an exciting time . . . you guys are making me nostalgic. *SIGH* We only have one, so we only had one shot to get it right, LOL.