Menu

Another Spanish Question

My dh and I would like to learn Spanish along with our dd when she is earning her foreign language credits for high school. We really can't afford Rosetta Stone right now, so I'm looking for other options. We could spend in the $100 range, though.

I've looked at BtB and Visual Link. I've read good things about both, but don't know which would be best to make sure she gets enough for her credits, but easy for us to all use. My dd and dh are very much alike in that they both love to read and are more "global thinkers", while I have a math degree and like things cut and dry, a list to check off, etc.

Are there other options that would be even better for us? Thanks for any advice!

My dd's using VL Spanish and LOVES it! It's great for visual learners!

Someone told me that it is conversational. Does it also include grammar? I really think she should have both to count it as a high school credit.

I have a neighbor we might can get to help us some. She was getting a master's in Spanish when she had her first child who's 7 now. She recommended getting a book, such as the Bible or a favorite book, in Spanish to read alongside the English one. She told me about free lessons online at SpanishDict, but I'm not sure if they would count for a credit either.

Someone told me that it is conversational. Does it also include grammar? I really think she should have both to count it as a high school credit.

I have a neighbor we might can get to help us some. She was getting a master's in Spanish when she had her first child who's 7 now. She recommended getting a book, such as the Bible or a favorite book, in Spanish to read alongside the English one. She told me about free lessons online at SpanishDict, but I'm not sure if they would count for a credit either.

DD said she just took a test on grammar stuff yesterday. :001_smile: She's past my low level of Spanish knowledge, so I had to ask her. I'm very pleased with how much she now knows and understands!

Getting Started With Spanish is super easy to use, and would be a great way to start IMHO. It is modestly priced, nonconsumable, and presumably easy to resell. Big hit here.

Getting bilingual books from the library is nice if you have a native teacher/tutor to help, but the vocab is generally pretty darn hard IME.