Menu

Allergy to cooked but not raw veggies?

I'm wondering if it's possible to have an allergy to a cooked veggie but be fine with eating it raw. My younger dd had a type of cooked spinach dip yesterday and after one bite said it made her throat feel funny and made her breathe weird. She also said it was like that one time she tried steamed broccoli.

She likes raw broccoli so I've never made her try steamed/cooked broccoli again. She also eats raw spinach in salads but I don't think she's ever had it cooked.

Can you be allergic to a food when cooked but not raw?

Maybe it was something else in the dip? I have a couple of food allergies (oral allergy syndrome), but to fresh rather than cooked. The cooking breaks down the proteins that cause the allergic reaction.

I don't know, though--it does sound like an allergic reaction, and I'm assuming the broccoli was plain? Does she have other allergies?

Maybe it was something else in the dip? I have a couple of food allergies (oral allergy syndrome), but to fresh rather than cooked. The cooking breaks down the proteins that cause the allergic reaction.

I don't know, though--it does sound like an allergic reaction, and I'm assuming the broccoli was plain? Does she have other allergies?

The broccoli was plain but the dip had other stuff in it. The only other allergy she has is to cats. She also has a small airway and asthma so when she told me something made her throat and breathing feel funny it worried me. I didn't know the broccoli made her feel that way though until yesterday when she compared the two.

I have heard of it the other way around. Allergic to the raw version, but ok with it cooked. It would seem that if you can eat it raw, you should be fine with it cooked. Unless, oils or seasoning are the problem and not the veg itself. I would ask the doctor about it.

That's all I could find online as well but the steamed broccoli was cooked at home and there was no oil or seasoning. I just threw it in the steamer basket of my rice cooker and added water. I'm going to give her allergist a call on Monday but just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar. Thanks.

That's all I could find online as well but the steamed broccoli was cooked at home and there was no oil or seasoning. I just threw it in the steamer basket of my rice cooker and added water. I'm going to give her allergist a call on Monday but just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar. Thanks.

Is there any possibility that any residue had remained on the steam/rice basket/cooker? I know that would be pretty far fetched, but I ask because my dd is rather sensitive to soaps and detergents. Just a really off the wall thought! :D

• 1 year later...
Guest tsaal14

yes, I too experience the itching of mouth & lips after eating cooked spinach & broccoli. I can eat both raw with no problem. I have tried bag spinach, fresh spinich, canned, with or with out oills,seasoning etc. & still I get reaction when ever it has been cooked.The broccoli it seems to be the floret part only I get the reaction with, & stalk part of broccoli I am fine. wondering if anyone has any ideas why This happens, it should be the otherway around???