Menu

New draft quick Webster and syllable division "worksheet"

ElizabethB

I just finished a draft version of a "worksheet" designed to quickly teach syllable division and a bit of Webster's Speller. It is designed for a child taught with phonics that does not yet read at the 12th grade level. They need to be sounding out all phonograms to work through this. It should take 15 to 30 minutes, and by the end they will be reading a selection at the 12th grade reading level.

I have no actual children that I can test this on...my son is below this level and I've already taught my daughter syllables. My remedial students are not good candidates because of their underlying reading problems.

So, I'd appreciate any feedback--does it work? Is it understandable? I'm aiming for understandable but not idiot proof. It is for someone who has previously taught phonics. For people who need scripted, idiot proof instructions for syllables, use link #4 at the end of my how to tutor page.

Thanks!

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/crashcoursesylla.html

I can give it a go with my daughter, but I'm not sure she's the perfect candidate either. She was taught with phonics, and we've done some work in the 1908 Webster's, but we're not quite at the end (though we're getting close). She has watched one of your spelling videos, but no more than that.

I'll try it tomorrow and report back.

:)

I can give it a go with my daughter, but I'm not sure she's the perfect candidate either. She was taught with phonics, and we've done some work in the 1908 Webster's, but we're not quite at the end (though we're getting close). She has watched one of your spelling videos, but no more than that.

I'll try it tomorrow and report back.

:)

Thanks!

It looks really good.

One factual error though - the British parliament is now limited to five years. The Septenial Act was amended.

I will take it up with Webster. He still has not sent me a penny!!

That is interesting, though. I don't think I would have found that out anywhere but here!!! :) I will add a note to the final version. I also had to change the word incase to encase, in Webster's time incase was in favor. It is still an acceptable variant, though.

Here's the report:

It took us about an hour (though I do have a younger child who needed some attention here and there).

I "tested" her when we started, and in the last two sections of reading she didn't read derogatory, immateriality, indivisibility, or incompatibility correctly so I went ahead and tried the whole handout.

The instructions for sections 6 and 9 didn't make sense until we started reading the words. On section 8, the instruction "some Latin exceptions" made us laugh because we don't know what the Latin exceptions would be. The instruction in section 11 about "fillet (pronounced fillit)" didn't make sense to us, since apparently we only use the culinary version of that word (fillay) not the mechanical/framing use of the word.

She read all the words correctly in the last passages after doing the handout. I can tell that future work in this area would be to make a handout of words not divided into syllables and have her divide them in the correct places.

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Thanks!

We made it through section 6 this morning. I'm going to camp out there for a day or two until those syllables are automatic (she read the words but had to think about the syllables) and then move forward.

And, umm, I think I might need an answer key :blushing:

:tongue_smilie:

I wish I could wrap my brain around Webster's because I would love to use it for ds. I love the syllable work that OPGTR lacks but it's still fuzzy to me.

*ETA* DD was reading well before we began (she reads the KJV daily), if it matters.

Edited by Robin's Song

Here's the report:

It took us about an hour (though I do have a younger child who needed some attention here and there).

I "tested" her when we started, and in the last two sections of reading she didn't read derogatory, immateriality, indivisibility, or incompatibility correctly so I went ahead and tried the whole handout.

The instructions for sections 6 and 9 didn't make sense until we started reading the words. On section 8, the instruction "some Latin exceptions" made us laugh because we don't know what the Latin exceptions would be. The instruction in section 11 about "fillet (pronounced fillit)" didn't make sense to us, since apparently we only use the culinary version of that word (fillay) not the mechanical/framing use of the word.

She read all the words correctly in the last passages after doing the handout. I can tell that future work in this area would be to make a handout of words not divided into syllables and have her divide them in the correct places.

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

That does help, thanks!

Latin has exceptions to several of the syllable division rules, but you don't really know the word is from Latin until you look it up in the dictionary to find out! My syllable division rule sheet from my how to tutor page explains this a bit more, here is the file:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/syllable%20division%20charta.pdf

And, if you really want to know more about syllable division between 2 vowels, my phonics lesson 24 covers that in great detail. Also, the syllable division rules don't always work, but they're a good first try and will usually get you close to a proper pronunciation.

I understand about the younger child! I was just remarking on the K thread that my son got more history and science than his sister for K because he was 2 when she was K age and he did not nap.

Thanks!

We made it through section 6 this morning. I'm going to camp out there for a day or two until those syllables are automatic (she read the words but had to think about the syllables) and then move forward.

And' date=' umm, I think I might need an answer key :blushing:

:tongue_smilie:

I wish I could wrap my brain around Webster's because I would love to use it for ds. I love the syllable work that OPGTR lacks but it's still fuzzy to me.

*ETA* DD was reading well before we began (she reads the KJV daily), if it matters.[/quote']

The c and g syllables are tough. It takes a while to get them down pat.

The answer key is a good idea, thanks! I should have one by the time you've figured out the answers!! :D That will be easier than explaining things, just showing the answers.

The whole Webster thing does take a while to figure out. I'm hoping this would be a good quick intro to get people hooked on Webster and ready to tackle the whole thing.

Edited by ElizabethB

Well, I'm almost persuaded :).

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with how many words dd is missing. We went through all of the 3 syllable words and she missed quite a few. Still more she kind of rolled around on her tongue until it sounded right. She can divide many of the words herself and pronounce them correctly if I divide them for her.

In any case, this is giving her another tool to tackle the longer words she is unsure of.

• 2 years later...

Hi Elizabeth,

>For people who need scripted, idiot proof instructions for syllables, use link #4 at the end of my how to tutor page.

This thread is more than two years old. I followed the link and went to your HowToTutor page, but link #4 is Blend Phonics.

1. Before and after tests--the NRRF and the MWIA.
2. Phonics concentration game.
3. Blend Phonics Reader.
4. Guide to using Blend Phonics, incorporates rules (not in original Blend Phonics) <--  ??
5. Spelling and phonics rules.
6. Syllable division rules.
7. Syllable division exercises.
8. Sample schedule.
9. Readings from Hebrews 12 marked to show progress through program.
10. Webster's Speller.

Could you point to me where the scripted instructions for syllables is?

I started Webster's speller a few months ago, we are now at No.27 of Don Potter's 21st centry book. I have quite a lot of questions along the way and feel often at lost on how to teach the rules. So I'm looking for resource on how to teach using Webster's speller. I started off using your weekly schedule. But the weekly schedule only covers the syllabary and a few tables at the very beginning, am I right in saying so?

Thanks in advance,

Simar