Menu

Geometry taught in a semester or summer?

My 8th grade daughter will finish Saxon Alg. 2 this year. I don't know whether to take a year to do a separate geometry (and what text- might use same text as local high school), to just continue with Saxon Advanced math, or to try to get geometry done in a semester and then go on to Advanced Math. I also don't know when to enter her in to the CC track. Would like her to start with Alg. 2 (int. algebra) just to build the confidence. High school starts next year and to be honest I am freaking out little bit. Wondering whether to just send her to local high school so she can play sports/give me alittle break or just keep on keeping on with a mix of online/home taught and then CC maybe starting in 10th.

Biggest question: Should I take a whole year "off" for a separate geometry? Has anyone taught Geometry in a semester? Or do I advance to advanced math.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by srainbow@sonic.net

I would think she could do it, afterall, high schools often offer full year courses as summer school options.

It depends on if she is motivated to put the time and work into it that would be required. I took one 1/2 credit summer course in high school, and it was 4 hours/day for about 4 weeks (can't remember exactly).

My kids have often used summers to finish up a math course, but never to do a complete course. We just have too many things going on in the summer.

My kids have often used summers to finish up a math course, but never to do a complete course. We just have too many things going on in the summer.

I definitely know what you mean here. I have such grandiose ideas but really we will probably be doing catch up work summer too, and we take weeks off for camping, VBS, etc.

I may just take a whole year to do geometry. As someone else said. There is no real rush. She does like math but still needs me to teach her.

Thanks for replies. Any comments are really appreciated. Siobhan