Menu

We're only on chapter 2 but I'll go ahead and tell you about our Logic selection

Oh, I see, it is just the introduction. Well, poop! That is no fun. Sad face!

At least there is a lot of very good information in the intro. I am going to check out the full teacher's manual via ILL. I am not convinced that it's worth 50$. That is really expensive.

• 1 month later...

Well, I ILL'd the teacher's manuel. OMG, it is HUGE! Like Lively Latin 2 huge!

I personally wasn't interested in using it once I saw the whole thing. It is def made for a classroom situation with lots of topics for group discussion. I personally didn't feel like wading through that much paper only to have to rearrange most of it to fit one student. And, from my admittedly brief perusal of the material I found it to be more oriented towards philosophy than logic. it was also a bit.. hmm.. well, it came at things from such an oblique angle. I am not sure how to explain it. It just wasn't written to my taste.

I also looked at the book, Elfie, written for younger children and was not impressed at all. It had the main character engaging in a lot of very negative self talk to the point that I found it disturbing. She was constantly saying things in her own head about herself like "you are so stupid. No one likes you. You ruin everything" It started to get to me. There is no way I would read that to a first grader.

I still have the TM downstairs and could be convinced to give it another shot, but right now, I am feeling comfortable passing.

I saw the teacher manual at Valley Forge. I do agree it's meant for a classroom, but in our case it will be used in a co-op situation. The teacher manual has questions to ponder and discuss. The one chapter I read through had questions like:

- can you have a body without a mind? Explain

- can you have a mind without a body? Explain

- What's the difference between your mind and your personality?

- do animals have minds?

Even though the books are meant to be secular, I could totally see myself adding "what about a soul? What's the difference between your mind and your soul? Do animals have souls?"

Not to be done alone, for sure. But great discussion openers. (I also agree it looks more like a philosophy book than a logic one)

Have any of you seen the high school levels? How do they look?

Could a 10th grader read it on their own, not as a class but just because they are interested in the subject? Or, is it not something they should be left alone with? Just wondering.

Denise

I started reading the free, online pdf and found it interesting. I was confused when I hit pdf page 36 and they talked about evolution, as a fact, that she learned about in Sunday School. The only Sunday School I am familiar with is ones that are Christian based which seem to oppose the idea of evolution. Are, or were, there other sunday schools that teach that?

Just curious.

I don't think there is a unified Christian stance against evolution. I believe many Christian churches peacefully coexist with evolution. I do not believe one can make a statement that all Christians reject evolution.

I attend a church and evolution is not questioned. A whole adult RE class was taught about exciting new developments in the field.

I started reading the free' date=' online pdf and found it interesting. I was confused when I hit pdf page 36 and they talked about evolution, as a fact, that she learned about in Sunday School. The only Sunday School I am familiar with is ones that are Christian based which seem to oppose the idea of evolution. Are, or were, there other sunday schools that teach that?[/quote']

Hmm, yes! For the last 5 years, I've been teaching Sunday School, and it happened that my group was the one to tackle the evolution vs genesis thing. And yes, we taught evolution as scientific theory (not a generic theory, a scientific one) and I would explain the difference in meaning between the two.

So yes, my kids could claim they learned of evolution in church!

I started reading the free' date=' online pdf and found it interesting. I was confused when I hit pdf page 36 and they talked about evolution, as a fact, that she learned about in Sunday School. The only Sunday School I am familiar with is ones that are Christian based which seem to oppose the idea of evolution. Are, or were, there other sunday schools that teach that?

Just curious.[/quote']

A Unitarian or Unitarian Universalist Church (the Unitarians and Universalists merged in the early 60's) would definitely have taught about evolution extensively, particularly in the 60s and 70s (and maybe later). We still do teach about it, but in among other things. I would not be at all surprised to have something about evolution taught in an American Baptist church (as opposed to a Southern Baptist).

The Presbyterian church where I grew up would certainly not have been opposed to evolution, I don't think, but I don't remember if we addressed it specifically in Sunday School. My husband said that in the Lutheran Church that it never came up for him that he remembers, but he doesn't think it would have been an issue (ie not presented as something to oppose). Realize that we are 35 years or so from children's Sunday School ;).