Menu

Almost 12 book

Gamom3

OH MY!!!:blushing:

Dd(10) will be using Sonlight's 5th grade science next year and this book is TO much!!

Did you skip this book??? I think I will save it for ds and her to read in a couple of years!

Dh told me to HIDE the book!:iagree:

I was going to use SL science 5, but after seeing the book at a conference, decided to not use it. Not only because of that; there were other components of the program I wasn't going to use, as well. That part was just what pushed me over the edge to not use it and do something else. So, I am going to pull together my own science for next year. Not exactly sure every detail of it, though. It's only May, though, right??

Dd(10) will be using Sonlight's 5th grade science next year and this book is TO much!!

Did you skip this book??? I think I will save it for ds and her to read in a couple of years!

Oh no! Now you've got me worried! I was planning to use SL's Science 5 this next year for my 6th grader. I'll be borrowing the books from my neice, so I've not actually seen any of them up close and personal. My plan was to let hubby do the teaching...I have already warned him of said plan. ;)

I just talked with my son last week about s*x abuse, etc. that was required reading/parent discussion in his Boy Scouts Handbook. He was pretty grossed out about some of it, but handled it maturely enough. I had to pretty much step outside myself and tell him what needed to be told. :001_huh: Not sure I can handle the, 'this is where babies come from' talk though. :tongue_smilie:

Did you get your Almost 12 book FROM Sonight? I know there is an updated version of it that they don't recommend, and don't sell.

we thought there was WAY too much information in one the read-alouds, Seven Daughters and Seven Sons. The story was good, but there were parts that were very mature for a 5th grader!

I read this book and loved it! I read it in a day.... very good book...However, I chose to pass having my son read it... the detail of her describing her body in the mirror.... was more than I wanted my son to read..... *Ü* a little provocative....This was when I had time to read a lot more than I do now! lol

I will agree and say that the book has some real mature content... I don’t recommend it for a 10 year old, but maybe 11/12 or when they start asking a lot of questions. I read an older version to both my older 2. How uncomfortable was that!? My husband took over when we got to parts of the "boy" section.

Now I chose to read it aloud and I chose NOT to show pictures. I did not read the "boy" section to my daughter and I did not read the "girl" section to my son. The version I used was direct and to the point. It was a very positive experience...

You can omit this book and portion of SL. Just keep going. Save the book for later, or maybe even never…. *Ãœ* Lots of other things you can choose from too...