Menu

Cranford.

Wasn't that first episode on Masterpiece Theater FUN???? I loved it - can't wait for next Sunday (and it is Mother's Day then, so no one can argue me out of the tv :001_smile:)

I was kept busy just trying to recall where else I had seen all those familiar British faces.....wasn't that "Willowbee" (sp) from Sense and Sensitivity in a few scenes? What was his character, and that of the hat-maker, in relation to the rich lady with the big house? Everyone else I could figure out.

Very well-made production!

Yes a lot of Austen actors appear in this production

From the Pride and Prejudice of 2005(Keira Knightly version ) Cranford has Bingley as the doctor, Lady Catherine at one of the sisters that star in Cranford, Charlotte as the girlfriend of the guy that breaks his arm (sorry I have not learned all the names of the character in Cranford yet) I was dowsing off a bit at the end last night so I need to rewatch it today.

Here is an Austen website blog that has a 6 degreees of seperation Cranford Austen contest.

http://janitesonthejames.blogspot.com/

The PBS website explains all the characters and their relationships to one another very nicely.

The actress who stuck out the most to me as a familiar face was of course Dame Judi Dench who plays Mattie in Cranford and "M" in James Bond movies.

I must say, having not read the books, I was a bit surprised by last night's turn of events near the end. I would not have suspected to lose such a central character already!

Wasn't that first episode on Masterpiece Theater FUN???? I loved it - can't wait for next Sunday (and it is Mother's Day then, so no one can argue me out of the tv :001_smile:)

I was kept busy just trying to recall where else I had seen all those familiar British faces.....wasn't that "Willowbee" (sp) from Sense and Sensitivity in a few scenes? What was his character, and that of the hat-maker, in relation to the rich lady with the big house? Everyone else I could figure out.

Very well-made production!

It was incredibly fun! Those women!

Yes, lots of familiar faces from other BBC productions.

Jami

The PBS website explains all the characters and their relationships to one another very nicely.

Wow, yes it does. Talk about user friendly!!! (Characters: Click their faces)

You know who surprised me the most? Julia Sawahla. I saw her name in the opening credits. I knew she was Lydia way back in the BBC Pride & Prejudice. I could not find her in the movie. I looked and looked and never would have guessed she was Jessie.

It was so fun placing the actors from other British period movies that I've seen. It was like playing Six-Degrees of Kevin Bacon. ;)I think there were 5 people from Wives and Daughters alone.

I will watch anything with Judi Dench and Michael Gambon, so it was very cool seeing them in a movie together. I have to say, even though it had fantastic seasoned actors, the boy who played Harry Gregson practically stole the movie from all of them. I'm not sure who he is, but he did such a fantastic job.

ETA: Julia Swahala (Lydia) played Jessie Brown, who was Captain Brown's daughter, Judi Dench's neighbor.

I have to say, even though it had fantastic seasoned actors, the boy who played Harry Gregson practically stole the movie from all of them. I'm not sure who he is, but he did such a fantastic job.

He was just in The Waterhorse.

I loved Cranford and can't wait for next week!