Menu

FLL level 4 Lesson 80 question

Guest eujen

Guest eujen

In Exercise 1, Lesson 80, First Lang. Lessons Level 4, I don't understand how the word "choked" could possibly be labeled "verb" in sentence #3; my initial response to my daughter's question about it was that it's an adjective (a predicate adjective being linked back to the subject, "interior," by the linking verb "is.") This problem recurs in Exer. 2 when the child is asked to diagram that sentence.

Here's the sentence: "The interior of our galaxy is choked with space dust."

When I looked up the word "choked," of course I found that it's labeled an adj. when used in this way.

If FLL is correct, could someone please explain? I just don't see how "is" could be functioning as a helping verb in that sentence.:confused:

thanks

Jen in WNC

Edited by eujen
i didn't have enough info originally

"Is choked" is your verb. "Is" works as a helping verb, in this case. "Choked" is an action verb. "The interior of our galaxy choked with space dust." makes no sense grammatically ..... you need "is" as the helping verb.

I'm not quite sure what dictionary would list it as an adjective .....??? If you really think it's an adjective, try using it to describe another noun in a sentence .... it doesn't work ...

HTH! :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
"Is choked" is your verb. "Is" works as a helping verb, in this case. "Choked" is an action verb. "The interior of our galaxy choked with space dust." makes no sense grammatically ..... you need "is" as the helping verb.

I'm not quite sure what dictionary would list it as an adjective .....??? If you really think it's an adjective, try using it to describe another noun in a sentence .... it doesn't work ...

HTH! :001_smile:

:iagree:

Here's the sentence: "The interior of our galaxy is choked with space dust."

When I looked up the word "choked," of course I found that it's labeled an adj. when used in this way.

If FLL is correct, could someone please explain? I just don't see how "is" could be functioning as a helping verb in that sentence.:confused:

thanks

Jen in WNC

It has been awhile, but I think ;) I can try to explain it.

Subject: interior

Verb: is choked

"is" is not a linking verb here, it is actually a passive voice transitive verb.

choked would be an adjective if it were "the choked interior".

Interesting!

We are only on FLL1, but I’m curious, because I’d definitely agree “choked†seems like an adj in the original sentence:

A1: “The interior of our galaxy is choked with space dust.â€

If we change it to this:

B1: “Space dust chokes the interior of our galaxy,â€

“chokes†is clearly a verb.

But what if we make parallel constructions, using “cloud†instead of “choke�

A2: “The interior of our galaxy is cloudy with space dust.â€

B2: “Space dust clouds the interior of our galaxy.â€

Seems to me that in both of the “B†sentences, choked and clouds are both obviously verbs.

But in the “A†sentences, they both seem like adjectives (and surely no one would argue that in the second A example “cloudy†is a verb). How could cloudy be an adjective in B2, but choked not be an adjective in B1?

Interested to hear what those “in the know†think about this!

It has been awhile, but I think ;) I can try to explain it.

Subject: interior

Verb: is choked

"is" is not a linking verb here, it is actually a passive voice transitive verb.

choked would be an adjective if it were "the choked interior".

Sorry, I missed your post when I responded before (hadn't refreshed since looking at the post a couple of hrs ago!)

Anyway... Ahhhhhhh! VERY helpful!

So, using my example, "is choked" is a verb in A1, but "is" is the verb in A2, with "clouded" being an adjective?

Because we could write:

C2: "The cloudy interior of our galaxy is filled with space dust,"

but we could not write:

C1: "The choked interior of our galaxy is filled with space dust."

Although does it matter that we cannot write:

C2: The cloudED interior of our galaxy is filled with space dust"?