Menu

Linking IRS to FAFSA?

Kimm in WA

I completed my son's FAFSA on 1/1/11, so we couldn't link our tax info directly from the IRS website at that time. I've updated our income info, but is it recommended to also link your tax return to the FAFSA?

My son's FAFSA was selected for "verification", so tax forms need to be sent to every school that asks for it anyway.

Advice?

Thanks,

Kimm in WA

I never heard of this (the linking). I suppose you updated your FAFSA to reflect the actual figures when you did file, right? If so, I would just go ahead and send a copy of the tax return to the school. That is not an odd request since about 30% of filers get requests for that. In some schools, all students who get aid must submit tax returns.

The only tax return we sent was to the one she was accepted at.

This was our experience, too. Before sending out all those copies of tax documents, I called and checked with the FA department at each college that had asked for copies. Each one told me that there was no need to send the copies unless he enrolled at that school. So, you may not need to send them to everyone, but I'd check just in case.

I also saw that option to populate the FAFSA with IRS info, but I decided against it. It was just easier for me to enter in the info into FAFSA myself.

Brenda