Menu

Applying FLL to real sentences

kim.4dogs

I am using FLL 2 with my dd7. Today we completed Lesson 179 (this is the older edition with FLL 1 and 2 combined in one volume). We were trying to identify the adjectives and adverbs in a sentence. She seemed to have no idea! She would say random words from the sentence. For example, she says, "Through!" when I ask for the adjective. I remind her that "through" is in the list of words we just recited (prepositions). "What type of words are those?" I ask her. She says, "The aboard, about, above, across list."

I remember feeling this same way with my older dd, who completed FLL 1 through 3. (FLL 4 was not ready yet when she needed it, so we moved to Growing with Grammar.) It seemed like she could memorize the definitions, but had no idea how to apply them.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or is it even a problem? Is this normal for this age? I just begin to wonder if it's a waste of time to keep drilling this stuff.

I definitely don't think it's a waste. But I do think you need to work on giving her examples and practice every time a different part of speech comes up. Don't just recite a list or a rule, but come up with examples and have *her* come up with examples every single time. Sometimes stop when you're reading together or doing some other subject in school and you come across a sentence with simple parts of speech that she could identify. Say, "Oh! The prince went *through* the castle gate and out into the courtyard! I know 'through' was on that list we recited today... What was that again? So what kind of word is it?"

Make her apply what she's learning all the time. Just doing it at lesson time isn't always enough.

Also, when she gets into her "wildly guessing" mode, just stop. Let her babble and make it clear that you have disengaged. Then say, "Are you done guessing? Okay, now tell me..." And start asking leading questions.

GIVE HER TIME TO ANSWER. This is one of the biggest mistakes many of us home schoolers make. We don't give kids time to think and come to the right conclusion. So give her time and don't accept her scattershot answers as her *real* answer.

Aside from the above advice, I would see if your library carries the Words Are Categorical series by Brian Cleary. We LOVE these books, and they have really helped my son grasp grammar terms. I think seeing so many words of one type together in a fun way (as opposed to a boring list of them) was very helpful for him.

Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective?

Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely: What Is an Adverb?

Another book Nik really enjoys is The Usborne Word Detective.

My DD does that too. I *think* all the drill is to put the definition in their heads so that when she really starts working and diagramming it will be easier to remember the different parts of speech. As far as I understand, the WTW method incorporates a lot of memorization as it's easier for kids to memorize at these early ages. Then, as they grow and mature, it will be easier to apply and pull from. Also, I think it is mainly for exposure right now and not mastery. Sometimes I don't do it 3 times in a row, though, maybe twice.

Thank you for the advice! In the car last night, I started giving her very simple sentences and asking for the adjective or adverb. I'll keep working on that. The books sound fun, too! My dd11 can still recite the list of prepositions that she learned in FLL, and I know it is helpful to her now (or will be soon). I know FLL works, but yesterday was a frustrating afternoon! Thanks for the help and perspective.