Menu

Kind of a weird question about Spelling Power

If a student has had a so-so background in phonics and could use some brushing up and reinforcing of phonics, would SP help with this? Spelling definitely is the main issue, but every once in a while some of his shaky phonics can get in the way of reading too. (He'll say "biding" for bidding, for example.) Would the rules in SP help with this at all? Or not so much?

(We're talking about an 8th grader.)

I would just have him watch my phonics lessons, they teach a bunch of spelling rules and syllable division rules! Actually, I would have all of your older children watch through them, then you can sneak in some extra phonics practice that they can do on their own. (Actually, a student as young as 6 is capable of watching them, but they are very boring, a younger student needs a break in the middle of most of them.)

Then, I would have him, and anyone who needs extra phonics and spelling practice, work through the program on my how to tutor page. The good thing is, since I designed it for large groups, you can teach all of them at once very efficiently. (It's easier to work through this after they have watched my lessons and figured out syllables, but you could also do this instead of the online lessons or at the same time as them.)

For your oldest who needs mainly spelling, have him spell a few words and study the spelling rules while the others are reading and spelling words. Those that need a lot of phonics help can read and spell words and watch others read and spell words when it is not their turn. (I like to print out the spelling rules, #5, on cardstock and cut them in half so they are smaller, they are not as overwhelming as a full page of rules, and they last longer with cardstock.)

The guide (#4) has idiot proof instructions for working through the Blend Phonics lessons and adding in syllables, the spelling rules and syllable division rules and exercises.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

Edit: My syllable division rules and exercises on my how to tutor page cover the bidding/biding thing, and my phonics lessons #14 and 15 cover it as well. But, every phonics lesson has spelling practice and most teach at least one spelling rule.

Edit: Wordy Querty might also help! That is one of its spelling rules. Again, something he can do independently.

Edited by ElizabethB

I'm waiting for a copy of Spelling Power to arrive...just to check it out (heehee), BUT --- All About Spelling definitely reinforces phonics like gangbusters!

We've actually used AAS for a while now. (Had to stop for my main student because it wasn't intensive enough for my dyslexic dd.) For my ones that need just some extra work, it was a bit too much to work through just to target their weak areas, which is why I was eyeballing SP.

I don't think SP would be all that great for reinforcing phonics. Well, maybe it would, but I've been somewhat disappointed with their spelling rules. :tongue_smilie: (How's that for a decisive answer?)

I'll post some of the rules that have been in dd's spelling lists recently. Hopefully it will help. Some of these sounds have little markings above them, which I don't know how to reproduce, btw.

• /an/ is sometimes spelled en as in golden.
  • /al/ can be be spelled le as in little, el as in rebel, al as in total, il as in, ol as in capitol, and ile as in futile.
  • Words are normally made plural by adding s.
  • When adding a suffix to a word ending in y, change the y to i, as in try to tried and baby to babies. Exception: When the y is preceded by a vowel, just add the suffix.

I don't think SP would be all that great for reinforcing phonics. Well, maybe it would, but I've been somewhat disappointed with their spelling rules. :tongue_smilie: (How's that for a decisive answer?)

I'll post some of the rules that have been in dd's spelling lists recently. Hopefully it will help. Some of these sounds have little markings above them, which I don't know how to reproduce, btw.

• /an/ is sometimes spelled en as in golden.

• /al/ can be be spelled le as in little, el as in rebel, al as in total, il as in, ol as in capitol, and ile as in futile.

• Words are normally made plural by adding s.

• When adding a suffix to a word ending in y, change the y to i, as in try to tried and baby to babies. Exception: When the y is preceded by a vowel, just add the suffix.

Ah, thank you!