Menu

Elementary Spanish on United Streaming...

twoblessings

I'm using ES with my 2nd grader and she really likes it. She is even doing the 4/5 grade level as she did not like the lady for the k/2 level. We are stressing more learning vocabulary at this age and the ES/US is her treat each day to relax and sing along while learning. ES has great resources (but printing it out is not cheap). I do get US free... so I'm unsure what my review would be if I had to pay. Trying to be honest.

I get this for free also :). I am thinking every thing I need is in the downloadable teacher's guide, is this correct? Is the resources you speak of in the Teacher guide. I am understanding there to be 10 units with 10 lessons each (100 lessons). Is this designed to complete the lessons over the course of 2 years? Thanks for all your help.

Blessings!

We're on our fourth year with it. We're on the last unit of grades 3/4. We have enjoyed it very much. We liked both teachers. The content is gentle and pleasant. I do not see this as a mastery program--more of an exposure program. So, if you want a mastery program, well, I guess that would be a con. But my son feels like he really knows Spanish. :p

We don't do the workbook page. (We do so many other workbook pages!) We just enjoy watching and listening in.

Since you already get United Streaming, just watch a sample lesson. I'm sure you'll like it. If you have a specific question, ask me.

This is encouraging to hear. DD and I did watch the first lesson today. She seemed to be interested in it. It is nice to get opinions from those who have actually used it over a period of time with good results. How many lessons per week do you do? I am thinking If we do 2 lessons a week that we could finish grade 1-2 in 1 1/2-2 years. Any thoughts you have on this is appreciated.

Thanks for everything,

Busy

We just finished up Unit 2 and will move onto Unit 3 next week. I have a minor in Spanish but with a 3 yo and an 18 mo running around I had to "outsource" something. There just wasn't time for me to teach it all? I know I could do better if I just had time but this is a great alternative until the little ones grow up a little more. I did have to pay for our subscription to United Streaming but I only paid $129 through the Homeschool Buyers Coop. I was about to spend $200 on a video based Spanish curriculum but this way I get Spanish plus all the other goodies that US has to offer for $70 less than I was going to spend just for Spanish. I have no regrets whatsoever and I feel this is a solid program.

That being said, I would supplement as much as possible with simple games and activities.Here is a link to a blog post I did about Spanish resources if you are interested:

http://smoothstonesacademy.blogspot.com/2007/09/were-learning-spanish-aprendemos-el.html

Blessings

Jennefer,

Do you use the workbook with this? I have taped all of this years from Dish Network (the program is on one of the university channels) and have been waiting to use it because I haven't ordered the workbook yet. What do you think about using the program w/o the workbooks? Ds is 7 in 2nd grade currently. Spanish is one of those things I've tried and tried to get in but just haven't had success with. Any suggestions?

TIA

Kerri

on Streaming there was a 500 and some odd page Teacher's Manual. In that manual there are included worksheets for most lessons as well as materials you can use to make a bulletin board for each unit. I do use the worksheets as they are fun and interactive most of the time (and ds loves them).

I don't know if the workbooks that are available for purchase are simply those worksheets together in one place? I will say that I do really like these and I do feel they reinforce the lesson well. I don't think they are a must have.

Email me if you want and we can compare notes! :)

Jennefer

He is in 4th and it is his favorite thing to do for school. We had been using Rosetta Stone, but he prefers the ES. He's on the last unit for grades 3-4 and is excited about moving on to the ones for grades 5-6. On the other hand, my dd in 7th didn't really like the educación española for grades 6-8 with the same guy, so she's gone back to doing Rosetta Stone.

• 6 years later...

We use elementary Spanish. We just finished unit two of the 1/2 grade program. The kids seem to be learning and they like it. I don't speak Spanish, so I can't teach them myself. We aim for twice a week, but that doesn't always happen. We use the worksheets. I probably wouldn't pay for it if I had to, but I get it free.