Menu

Suggestions for drawing and Hebrew?

kchara

I'm looking for suggestions to help teach the kids drawing. I think I have things like artists studies covered, but I'm horrible at art, myself, and I'd like them to have better skills. ;) It doesn't need to teach them to be master artists, I'd just like what they draw in their history notebooks and science notebooks to be slightly realistic.

The other thing I'm looking for is a Hebrew curriculum. I've heard there is a difference between modern Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew, is that correct? Because of that, we're not planning on using Rosetta Stone, which is what we'll eventually be using for our modern languages. We'd like to teach Biblical Hebrew. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm having a very difficult time with this one.

Thanks in advance!

I am liking Sarah and David's hebrew. You can see their letters if you look up the alpha bet on youtube. I ordered the whole curriculum for a gentle approach. My dad said it would work fine. He reads his Old and New Testaments in Hebrew and Greek, respectfully. He also has taught both for a number of years.

There are a couple of differences with what we're using, and pronouncing a few things are a bit different, but... it's doable, fun, kid friendly and it will get me the end result that I want... which is for my son to eventually be able to glide into reading Hebrew. You can easily do a google search and find it :)

The other thing I'm looking for is a Hebrew curriculum. I've heard there is a difference between modern Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew, is that correct? Because of that, we're not planning on using Rosetta Stone, which is what we'll eventually be using for our modern languages. We'd like to teach Biblical Hebrew. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm having a very difficult time with this one.

Thanks in advance!

There is a difference between modern and Biblical. Modern Hebrew would be the modern vocab, grammar, and spellings since the early 1900's (my husband could give you MUCH better explanation!). Biblical is just that - Biblical. If the reason you want to learn Hebrew is for Bible Study - you need to focus on Biblical Hebrew. {I realized that there was no point in teaching my son the word 'television' in Hebrew - won't find THAT in the Bible!}

The problem with many Hebrew curriculums (that I've found) is they either assume you are speaking Hebrew at home (either modern or in prayers and the like) and teach it much like we would teach English - learn the letters and then how to put them into words. But not a lot of focus on the vocab. OR It's geared for teens/adults, which can be difficult to teach to younger children.

I have a 7.5 year old, and we {we because I don't know it either - but DH is self-taught in it} are very slowly learning the Aleph Bet (by use of flashcards and some free worksheets available online). Along with this we are memorizing scripture in Hebrew (starting with Gen 1:1). The scriptures we will memorize will be very common ones that use common words. This will help us learn both the vocab and actual sentences.

My goal is not to make it so he can speak Hebrew fluently or even read it fluently (not at this time anyways) but so that growing up in it, he will be able to apply it to his Bible studies when he is older. If he takes an interest in it (like my husband) and wants to learn more details, he can.

Here are my most frequently used sites for Aleph Bet learning:

Hebrew4Christians (this one has lessons for adults, but this specifically links to the Aleph Bet info)

Akhlah (again, this is the Aleph Bet page, but there is more at this site! This is where I print my flashcards from)

that we LOVE. :D Can get kind of annoying, but it's helped a lot!

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know!

I had something great years ago, but lost it during the divorce. Sigh! :-( Someone had special ordered it at the bookstore and never picked it up, and I stumbled upon it and bought it.

I spent a couple hours this morning using resources from hebrew4christians and made some major headway. It's enough. Not as good as what I had, but enough. My aleph is SO much better now!

For drawing, I am using the "How Great Thou Art" by Barry Stebbing materials with my kids. They are very effective, and could are very instructive for a person who isn't an art person. I actually am an art person, but teaching art is not my strength, and I'm surprised how quickly concepts are developed, even with the youngest kids.