Menu

Voltaire's Candide - Has anyone read this w/their dc?

Since we did some reading on The Enlightenment, I was considering reading Candide w/my 13yo. dd.

I read through an online excerpt of this, and it looks "doable", but I'd like to hear feedback from those who have actually read it through w/their dc.

Thanks! :001_smile:

I just wanted to point out that Candide was the highlight of my sophomore year of high school and that I think everyone should read it at some point in their lives. It's one of the greatest satires ever written, IMO.

I did the musical in college. While it's funny, it does have a good deal of s*x in it, just so you know.

Thanks for the heads-up. I will probably be reading this out loud, so I can skip any questionable parts.

On second thought - you said you did the play, perhaps the play is more modernized, and takes more liberty with the "suggestive" parts of Candide?

I enjoyed reading it in high school, but I don't remember too much about parts to avoid. Sorry!

Ds (12) and I watched the operetta last year and loved it. (There are a couple suggestive parts, but those seemed to go over his head. You could preview it, though, and then watch it with your dd. ) It was very funny! We still talk about wanting a little farm.

"Ah Candide!"

:)

I second the suggestion to preview it. I would also make sure my child understood the difference between satire and real life portrayals. For what it's worth, I enjoyed it when we studied it at 18 but had classmates who didn't seem to know how to react to the satire because they took it seriously, if you know what I mean.

Anne