Menu

Eighth grader very behind in math-what would you use?

Catherine

I'm tutoring a friend's son in math. I met with him for the first time yesterday, and though I planned to use Lial's Basic College Math, and ordered it, I think he needs more remediation first. He is shaky on his times tables, but more basically, he is lacking in "math sense"-he has no confidence, doesn't know the meaning of many math words like product or sum, and seems like there are some significant holes in his grasp of basic arithmetic. So any suggestions for a text for working with a kid like this? I'll have to see what develops, but learning disability is not my impression. I've got the rightstart games book and manipulatives and will use that for some drill. So I need a text that is not too babyish. Any thoughts?

Have you looked at CLE? I can't link it from this computer--will come back later and add--but in a situation where you needed to make progress quickly to build confidence I think the satisfaction of completing the small 'workbooks' quickly might help.

They're also inexpensive enough that you can skip some of the repetition without feeling like you're wasting $$.

I'd do the placement test to be sure, but you could go back as far as the 500 level and do just the new material in each chapter, skipping the review, and the 2 quizzes and test per book.

Kahn Academy!

I have struggled all my life with Math, thinking I just couldn't "get it". After watching a particular video on his site, something I had previously thought was beyond me, now I understand. Twenty years I've been sure I was a math idiot, turns out I just needed someone new to explain it to me.