Menu

"Crazy U" by Andrew Ferguson ...

Laura in CA

Our library doesn't have it, but I'm thinking of suggesting that they do buy it!

Hillary, I hadn't heard of the author before, but the article in WSJ made him sound very entertaining.

Wow, Kathy, you read half of it? It must be a quick read (or your daughter was pretty late :D). What math book did you buy? :001_smile:

~Laura

P.S. The photo in the WSJ article is of bicycles and arches in the Stanford Quad :001_smile:, so that's fitting, Kathy! I don't think the newspaper article identified it, but the online version does.

Edited by Laura in CA

Well, I had an hour and it was a very quick read. Dd was doing her best to juggle her classwork & activities & parents for a few days. Ordinarily, the first two occupy all of her time (apparently with little time left for sleeping :glare:); I'm not sure how she managed to squeeze us in there..but it was nice. And we never mind having to wait in a nice, huge bookstore.:)

The book I bought was Hidden Harmonies by Robert & Ellen Kaplan, founders of the Boston Math Circle. I'd previously enjoyed their book Out of the Labyrinth, about their teaching philosophy and work in the Math Circle itself. This one, about the "lives and times of the Pythagorean Theorem" looks equally delightful.

Based upon all this and the blurbs on Amazon I went ahead and ordered it, will arrive in 2 days. I expect to read it and be done with it by the end of the week. Afterwards I'll list it on the FS boards at a cheap price, if anyone cares to purchase it.

Will give y'all some feedback after I finish it.