Menu

Boy Scout families - how are your boys doing?

wow.

our horse/shooting sports are an extra dollar right now..... gotta say, even $60 isn't bad: are y'all doing fundraising? Our club collects about a dollar a minute to their club scholarship fund just standing in front of a busy store and handing out informative flyers about 4-H......they are putting together a yard sale for next month. have fun!

No fundraising. It's out-of-pocket. For us in an investment because DS goes to state every year in Entomology and we are hoping for internships and scholarships as a result of his experiences.

No fundraising. It's out-of-pocket. For us in an investment because DS goes to state every year in Entomology and we are hoping for internships and scholarships as a result of his experiences.

if you can, you might want to look into it. mine goes to State for Roundup competitions and the club fundraising helps cover some of the travel expenses. Been nice with his dog project this year too, lol. Those scholarships sound great, but in TX they have to fill out the FAFSA to apply for the scholarship....and we aren't doing that on principle. He'll have to utilize his experiences for scholarships that won't require the FAFSA, so we've been making a list of those. :)

good luck!

The good: My 12 yr. old has his board of review to make 2nd class this week. He's plugging away at his Personal Management MB, and will be doing Photography and Traffic Safety this coming Saturday at a MB Day. He's currently a Patrol Leader.

The not so good: He and one other boy are officially picked on because they're homeschooled. I don't get why kids are so mean... So far he does not want me to get involved, so I'll respect his wishes.

All in all - DS loves the scouts, and the other boy that is homeschooled is a great kid. I'm glad my son has a friend like him. :)

Edited by aliya

Remember your Chartering Organization is responsible to provide/find a place to meet--put the onus on them--that's where it belongs!

yeah.. but that's exactly why we haven't found someone willing to charter a Family Scout Troop.... ;)

If we can find a location willing to let us meet, we'll be able to find a chartering organization.:tongue_smilie:

Have you thought about registering them as Lone Scouts? That way their work will be registered and you could buy the badges from the BSA.

in addition to lone scouts, You might want to try setting up a homeschool family scout troop.

barring that, you can always create a Scouting 4-H club that basically follows the procedures but doesn't really give a hoot about the badges. ;) 4-H has big awards too. ;) [and 4-H rarely costs much at all: our county charges a dollar per kid per year].

I agree with you about looking into 4H opportunities.

Check out the fees, though. Due to IL's fiscal crisis we now have to pay a $20 registration fee per child and extra fees for certain programs, like Shooting Sports, which are another $20 each. DS costs us $60 to register this year.

Thanks! I have heard about becoming an independent scout and have searched online for more info., but haven't been able to find out how to go about this. If anyone has more info., I would love it! I'd love for my boys to do 4h in the future and we have a great program here. The are a little young yet...my oldest is 7. Thanks again!

Thanks! I have heard about becoming an independent scout and have searched online for more info., but haven't been able to find out how to go about this. If anyone has more info., I would love it! I'd love for my boys to do 4h in the future and we have a great program here. The are a little young yet...my oldest is 7. Thanks again!

Here are some links for Lone Scouts:

http://www.lonescouting.com/Step.htm

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0110/a-lone.html

Here's a link to the Lone Scout Guidebook:

http://www.directservicebsa.org/pdf/14-420.pdf

Hope this gets you started on your scouting journey!

Here are some links for Lone Scouts:

http://www.lonescouting.com/Step.htm

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0110/a-lone.html

Here's a link to the Lone Scout Guidebook:

http://www.directservicebsa.org/pdf/14-420.pdf

Hope this gets you started on your scouting journey!

Oh, thank you! I had no idea it was called Lone Scouts. I've been googling other things trying to come up with something. :tongue_smilie:

Elks? American Legion? VFW? We use the basement of our Catholic church, though we're charted by the Elks. I'd love to have a hsed troop, but we simply don't have enough boys to do that.

I think I asked just about everyone in our rural-ish county; been trying to keep our options local, but I think i'm going to have to look into Dallas County....

Popping in here :)

My boys are going to their second meeting tomorrow. I have an 11 yo BS and a cute as can be in his uniform 7yo Tiger Cub :)

I read through all the pages and am reminded about how much this all sounds like Greek to me. I'm scared that my foggy pregnancy brain is not going to get over the Boy Scout learning curve. I have NO idea what's going on LOL.

My son will be getting his Arrow of Light award on Monday and then going into the Boy Scout troop. The troop at our church seems very disorganized. It used to be great but the man who put all the work into it moved. The rest of the guys seem to do nothing and attrition is high. My DH is moving up as a leader so hopefully he can shake things up or we will have to find a new troop. We're reluctant to move because I'm the Cadette Leader at our church and we meet on same night so it's more a family thing.

. My DH is moving up as a leader so hopefully he can shake things up or we will have to find a new troop.

your best bet is to have him attend as many trainings as you can afford to send him to-- it will pay off! Most guys don't want to take the time/$$ to attend those "extra" trainings, but they can turn a troop around....

good luck!