Menu

Talk to me about TOG

cdrumm4448

This is only our first year using it so I am sure that there are others that will answer your questions in depth. I will just say that you can go to www.tapestryofgrace.com and print out samples so that you can look at it and even try it out.

One of the things that I love about it is that our ds are all studying the same time in history at their own level. I love that and it was a point of contention for me with a couple of different programs.

If you check out their website there is a downloadable 3 week free sample of the ENTIRE program (digital - DE). You can listen to the audios, print the maps, student activity pages etc. and get a good feel for everything. It is a Christian classical history program (good for multiple ages/stages) that integrates Christian worldview, geography, literature etc. We are seriously scoping it out for 4th grade.

Trying to think of words that would help you see what it is like. Ok you know how each lesson in SOTW generally has mapping, timeline work, narration, discussion questions (assuming you are using the AG) and book recommendations that revolve around it. TOG is a little like that and yet different.

TOG has a weekly topic. For that weekly topic they provide book recommendations to study the topic, alternates, vocab, mapping, timeline work, writing assignments, Literature recommendations, literature worksheets, mapping, worldvew recommendations, fine arts recommendations, and activities. There is probably something I am forgetting. It coordinates all the topics in how they related to one another. That is at the UG and LG levels.

At the D and R level you get all that (except vocab) and you get government, philosophy, comprehension and discussion questions. In addition it provides teacher notes and the Pop Quiz CD's to prepare the teacher and include the father, so you don't have to read all your child's books to have an intelligent conversation. Generally they provide discussions on worldview, history, government and philosophy. Sometimes other areas will be throw in if they have a significant impact on one of the other ares.

The writing provides 12 different levels to choose from. The first half of the year is spend on learning new skills and the second half is spent on practice or projects (newspaper/play). It comes from a more traditional approach and not the classical approach SWB uses.

Practically the LG level is chosen for you to read to the child. The UG level and up is to be read by the child. They provide Student Activity Pages (SAP) for the child to work off of so there is a focus on teaching them to be independent.

TOG comes with more than any one family can do in a week, so if you want to use TOG you have to be able to say no to perfectly good stuff. :D

That said TOG is wonderfully flexible, allow people to use it in many different ways.

Heather