Menu

TOG Question & Share the greatness...

Honey Bee

Do they do they include map skills, or special studies like for states or presidents? Anything like these?

I'm working through my history plans for next year and just wondering about the things that are hard to see from the samples. For example, I "think" they include a semester of applied arts in Y2.

Any info that can't be seen by just the samples but is so great about Tapestry, I am asking for it now! :D

This could tilt the scale for me. :001_smile:

They have some wonderful projects; there are state and president flash cards that are made- those projects last from yr2-yr4, also in year 4 is an inventors notebook, my ds8 really liked that. My boys love the daVinci project book, we're in year 2 next year and ds8 is already planning on building a bridge over the creek behind our house.

They have some wonderful projects; there are state and president flash cards that are made- those projects last from yr2-yr4, also in year 4 is an inventors notebook, my ds8 really liked that. My boys love the daVinci project book, we're in year 2 next year and ds8 is already planning on building a bridge over the creek behind our house.

Thank you this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. You don't hear much about these gems in TOG. The state and president cards sound fun, and I could see the daVinci book being a hit! Thanks again, and have fun with that bridge project.

Map skills are definitely included. Especially if you buy the Map Aids for the year. That makes it all super-easy/ If you download the 3 week sample the MAs are included for those 3 weeks so you can see how that would work.

Thanks for your reply Jennifer! So would you say it includes things like learning about compass rose, latitude and longitude, map symbols, landforms, etc. or more just geography as in people and places? Hope I'm being clear. :001_smile:

Hmm, I understand you better now! I don't have the entire program myself, I'm just checking out the first unit of Y1 U1 in depth as I start planning for 4th grade. I can't really say about those specific map skills. I think it does do some landforms, and definitely places. We have a picture book called "Follow That Map" that is a great, easy, fun intro to very simple map skills (compass rose, map symbols, scale etc.) We do latitude/longitude informally when we are looking at our atlas :).

I know you weren't asking for recommendations, but since I can't speak specifically to the entire scope of TOG, there are mine :).

I'm only in Y1, but the map skills we've had are mostly geography. I love Map Aids, though. We are supplementing slightly. We're using the ideas in The Core to teach the kids how to draw a map, and keep a memorized map in their heads. We plan on introducing the map skills (compass rose, lat/long lines, ect.) that way.

You will get both geographical terms and general geography. Over the course of 4 years, you really get some great cultural studies as well. We have done huge maps project on Civil War battles, the geographical landmarks of Africa, cookie dough maps, candy maps, and simple paper coloring.

Something I appreciate in TOG is the crossover between quality projects and humanities (as a whole). We can really pull out core, history, geography, in-depth, church history, or literature projects -- whatever we see fit, really! It allows us to work on weak areas and approach the topics in a variety of way, but also gives us the option to keep some areas simple by simply following the Writing Aids guildelines (newspaper, summaries, essay, poster board).

Food --- we usually eat well with recipes from TOG :)

We like TOG to be really hands on. Some weeks we only have time for simple and fast, but sometimes, because we can work through projects incrementally (as planned out for us in TOG), we can build and enjoy their presentation at the Unit Celebration.