Menu

Memory Work

TXMary2

I want to do more memory work with my 7 yo ds. I am planning on buying the Veritas Press Timeline Card that Classical Conversations uses.

I do not want to buy CC's curriculum or lesson plans to find out what other memory work to do. Is there a list somewhere of the important things to memorize?

For Math we are doing skip counting, but what math facts shoule be memorized? I don't mean the addition/subtraction/mult/div facts, but things like what formulas to use to figure out different types of problems.

Geography - besides states and capitals, continents and oceans, what bodies of water and mountains etc should be memorized?

Science - scientists? Laws? Theories?

I'm in CC and love the memory work which has songs, which is mainly the history sentences, and math skip counting songs, but some other additional ones also, such as a song for all the U.S. presidents, a number of English songs such as a complete list of prepositions, and others. To me, using songs makes memory work immensely easier, so the investment of $90 for a complete set of memory work covering history, math, English, science, Latin, seems well worth it to me ($30 per CD * 3 cycles).

However, if you'd rather invent your own, I can suggest a resource to help you invent your own memory work ...it's a series called "Everything you need to know about ______ Homework" (fill in the blank with History, Geography, Science, etc) Here's a link to one of them: http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Need-About-Geography-Homework/dp/0439625467/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299218244&sr=1-1

I'd highly recommend the Geography songs, along with the corresponding book, by Larry and Kathy Troxel...we love them! http://www.amazon.com/Geography-Songs-Never-Forget-What/dp/1883028132/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299218780&sr=1-1

I believe there are songs that you can buy that go along with the Veritas Press Timeline cards.

For science, in addition to the science memory work in CC, I'm using Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Dr Nebel and capturing the main points from each lesson as additional memory work. I think that book works really well to make sure you're really getting the core understanding of science. http://www.amazon.com/Building-Foundations-Scientific-Understanding-Curriculum/dp/1432706101/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299219182&sr=1-1