Menu

Young scientist club kits

brasilmom

Hi all,

I just learned about this "club" and am wondering if any of you here that have used this program can share some info. Since I am not very science inclined I need something rather ready for me to work with my dd. She will be first grade, so I am not even sure this program would work. Also, would one kit a month be enough? I am thinking that we will be doing science twice a week initially, so the kit would be used spread out over those 8 lessons, with the idea of supplementing with reading and additional resources. Is it doable?

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

We used the Biology Level 1 and liked it alot. Then, I don't remember why, for some reason we switched to something else. I think we switched to Apologia's Zoology Swimming Creatures because my daughter was really into it. We like Apologia too. I'm sure if you search on the board for NOEO, you'll get alot of threads about it. :)

Good luck,

We just started Noeo Chemistry I last week and absolutely LOVE IT!!! I already decided to move onto Physics next year.

We just finished Sonlight Science K and loved it but found that my big girl was really keen on Chemistry so I decided to give Noeo a whirl. My plan was to return to SL after Noeo Chemistry but I really want to continue with Noeo.

It seems like a good program. I noticed that it is priced as a whole kit. However, I am afraid of shedding the almost $150.00 not knowing if it is a fit for us. Pardon my question, but does it have a religious "incline"? I will also check the Rainbow resources and maybe order one kit and see how that works for us. I appreciate the help. Be well

Miriam

Pardon my question, but does it have a religious "incline"?

Miriam

No, the books are secular and I didn't see any Biblical references in the Teacher's Manual. They do have the Bible verse (Romans 1:20) where the word "Noeo" comes from in the introduction of the TM.

Oops, sorry another question. For those of you using the Noeo, how old are your children? How often are you doing science in a week? I want to do a 2 day a week science, is that possible using this program? Does anyone know if it is possible to find an used version? I am always hesitant to purchase something I have never seen.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

Oops, sorry another question. For those of you using the Noeo, how old are your children? How often are you doing science in a week? I want to do a 2 day a week science, is that possible using this program? Does anyone know if it is possible to find an used version? I am always hesitant to purchase something I have never seen.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

I've seen Noeo TM's on the For Sale board before. Maybe check ebay too. You could try and piece it together?? Put up a "want to buy" post on the For Sale forum.

My big girl is 4.75 years old and we do science 3-4 times a week (every school day) because she is very science driven. Noeo is set up with a 4 day a week schedule for 36 weeks.

ETA: Did you see if you can just buy the TM from Noeo? Then piece it together?

Edited by MissKNG

Thank you Wendy for your input. I am also finding the cost a bit on the high side, However, if everything is set to go, perhaps has lots more value for the money. I have a little one that will also come to use it later on, so it may not be so bad if gets used at least twice. Lots to think about it.

If I remember right can't you look at a sample of Noeo at their site?

Now I have not used it. I was so drawn to it for a long time. The reason I decided not to go with it is I did finally find a TE used and bought it. All it was really was a reading schedule anyone really could put together. I needed more. I needed something to help me with answering questions and such. I am not a big science person, but my son was. Also at this age there is always tons of questions, with Noeo I knew I would not be able to answer all those as simply as I wanted, since I most likely would not know them.

If I remember right can't you look at a sample of Noeo at their site?

Now I have not used it. I was so drawn to it for a long time. The reason I decided not to go with it is I did finally find a TE used and bought it. All it was really was a reading schedule anyone really could put together. I needed more. I needed something to help me with answering questions and such. I am not a big science person, but my son was. Also at this age there is always tons of questions, with Noeo I knew I would not be able to answer all those as simply as I wanted, since I most likely would not know them.

Humm, that's interesting. Indeed it seems like it would be too much money for a reading schedule. I thought it was more elaborated than that. I may need to keep on looking. Because I am not a science person, I am better off getting a program that give me a good schedule and also experiments. May I ask what are you using?

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

I am better off getting a program that give me a good schedule and also experiments.

Noeo Chemistry does include experiments - there are the Young Scientist kits (I think 5 of them) and a book of experiments that are scheduled throughout the program. There is also a molecular bonding kit. Notebooking is a large part of the program too.

Humm, that's interesting. Indeed it seems like it would be too much money for a reading schedule. I thought it was more elaborated than that. I may need to keep on looking. Because I am not a science person, I am better off getting a program that give me a good schedule and also experiments. May I ask what are you using?

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

I am using McRuffy. I really like it. Short sweet and lesson get done.

Now you would have to add books to it if you wanted more reading in your science.

I am using McRuffy. I really like it. Short sweet and lesson get done.

Now you would have to add books to it if you wanted more reading in your science.

Thank you, I will check them out. So, is that also a complete curriculum for each grade/year? Does it follow somewhat the WTM "schedule"?

One more question: is this a secular program?

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam

Edited by brasilmom
One more questions

Yes complete curriculum for grades 1-3 right now, he is making more levels. You can go to the site and download samples of it and see if it looks like something you would like. Also there is the list of topics covered in the sample.

No, doesn't follow wtm.

Yes completely secular.