Menu

Best GPS for a new driver?

Alrighty, folks. . . . . .

The 18yo is finally (FINALLY!) about to get her license. We'd like to get her a portable GPS to have while she's driving out and about, especially to head into next year while she's commuting to college.

Since we don't have iPhones (sigh), what's a good, inexpensive (<$200) GPS system? I can't believe how many bells & whistles they all have, and I'm not making heads nor tails sense of it all.

Who likes their GPS?

Alrighty, folks. . . . . .

The 18yo is finally (FINALLY!) about to get her license. We'd like to get her a portable GPS to have while she's driving out and about, especially to head into next year while she's commuting to college.

Since we don't have iPhones (sigh), what's a good, inexpensive (<$200) GPS system? I can't believe how many bells & whistles they all have, and I'm not making heads nor tails sense of it all.

Who likes their GPS?

I like my GPS enough; it's several years old, so I won't recommend. I did want to comment though to make sure you have a paper map in her car, and be sure that she google-maps out a route in advance if she's going anywhere unfamiliar.

"Thanks" to my GPS, I've ended up on a dark walking path at night. Another night, I was stranded blocks from a hsing meeting when my GPS lost the satellite. My old street was not correct in the GPS system (or Google maps or anything), and visiting friends ended up in a variety of spots nowhere near my house (and very different locations also). Adding to that is unreliable cell phone coverage in more rural areas, making it possible to be more "stuck." And even if I drive just on the interstate, my GPS wants me to add an extra two hours on my trips to PA by taking me through Richmond and DC and Philadelphia.

My point is that you remind her it's not dependable, and for her own safety, she should use it only as a helpful reminder.

I just noticed that the Garmin Nuvi w/lifetime maps is marked down from $449 to $159 at Amazon.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Bluetooth-Navigator/dp/B001U0O7RQ/ref=xs_gb_A12YDS4WFVTKRJ?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=441937901&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1HGPZ496TN9HXTX7HZPB

It also says if you join Audible.com's $15/month plan, you get $100 off of the Garmin Nuvi, so that's like getting a year of access for $80 Still too pricey for me, but someone else might like! :)